Re: Where do we get the high% pts?

At 11:10 AM 2/12/2004, Pereira, Jorge M wrote:
From Jorge Pereira - Jpereira@xxxxxxxx

On the way to the promised land we've dug an obvious hole (crater) at power forward. We've lost the high % shot, easy pts. This is why all of a sudden we disappear at key moments and lose games - 1 outside shot and out, 3 or 4 times down the court in a row. Eric W, Baker (10-20 pts each), Mihms and Battie even trade? - not quite; Raff (5-10 inside pts).

So how do we make up for these 35 or so easy points every game?

I'd make PP more of a forward. Get him away from the perimeter. This way if he takes too many of those unwarranted shots he'll have his head handed to him. Just kidding. He could post up more often, and if the shot is not there when the defense collapses on him he could pass off to the perimeter for a clear shot. He may become more valuable to the team and better his play.

Any ideas? Feel free to tell me that I'm searching where there is no solution.

Well there really is no single solution, and in truth the offense we run/ran meant almost no easy shots, so I don't know as you can really say we lost any... But I agree with the stuff about Pierce and effective use. I've said all along that he really is a SF not a SG based upon his ball handling liabilities, mediocre at best playmaking, and his excellent rebounding.

Not just posting him up though, as he takes enough physical punishment as it is and that wears you down. But more slashing (although watch the ball handling and use some picks to give him space vs driving into 3 and 4 opponents), cutting without the ball, give and go sort of plays toward the hoop. Also for a couple of reasons you don't mention. Puts him in better position for offensive boards - and he IS a very good rebounder. But also draws the fouls that outside shots won't. And those fouls aren't just potential points for us, but can force changes in strategy on the opponents. Ilgauskas and EWill spent a significant chunk of the 2nd half with 5 fouls and not the slightest attempt on our part to exploit that by going at them and/or getting them fouled out. And finally one of those intangible sorts of things - when he drives by someone and dunks on them it gets himself, his teammates, and the crowd pumped up and Paul is very much someone who seems to feed off the emotional atmosphere.

More high % shots are one approach, but not the only one. Getting fouls if you don't get the hoop or getting a rebound so that you get enough shots that one of them is going to go in, even if you are shooting badly, can also be effective.

Kim