Dampier? Speculation from ESPN Insider

Well, this is interesting, I guess. Dampier is 29 years old, 6-11, 270
pounds, and he's averaging 12 points and 11.6 rebounds per game in the
best season of his career. The big difference this season is minutes.
He's averaging 32 minutes per game, whereas in the past he's had trouble
staying on the court more than 24 mpg because of foul trouble (sound
familiar?). This season's improved production coincides with a contract
option he has this summer. He can become a free agent. If he doesn't
exercise the option, he is under contract two more seasons at about $8
mill per season.

Would he opt out? Probably. He's huge and his production this season has
been tremendous. He has been healthy for three straight seasons, so it
seems maybe the injuries that plagued the early part of his career are a
thing of the past. Teams will overpay for productive big men, and he
qualifies. Would I give him $10 mill or more in a long-term deal? No
way.

This one's a risk, but probably one worth taking. If he opts out after
this season and you don't re-sign him, you really only lose Mihm and the
opportunity to turn an expiring contract into a player. If he doesn't
opt out, you get a reasonably priced center (and great complement to
Lafrentz) who solves many of your rebounding problems for two more years
until Kendrick is ready. At which point, you either have a great trading
chip, or cap room if you let his contract run out.

The worst case scenario is the Celtics pay him big money after this
season to keep him and then he dogs it for the duration of a longer-term
contract. That would be bad. But even then, big guys seem to get second
chances. Someone traded for Vin Baker, after all.

But, as Chad Ford says, what's in it for the Warriors (assuming the
trade isn't expanded to include Van Exel - which would be almost
impossible, I think)? Do they want the cap room that badly? Are they
that worried about him not opting out? If they want an asset, is the
Dallas pick enough to get it done? Would the Celts part with Marcus
Banks, who you would think would have some appeal for the Warriors?
Would that be smart? Geez... I don't know.

The bottom line is a Dampier who plays like he's playing this season
would be the best center in the East and drastically change the makeup
of the team. A Dampier-Lafrentz front line combo next season would be
formidable in the East, and you'd still have Pierce, Welsch and Davis.
This is one to watch. It's a risk, but I'd go for it.

Mark

Around the league

            Word is the Warriors are still trying to figure ways to kick
Nick
            Van Exel to the curb. The bait, as it was a few weeks ago,
is Erick
            Dampier. The problem is, there isn't another team out there
with the
            type of expiring contracts or cap room the Warriors are
looking for.

            The closest could be the Celtics, who are trying to combine
the
            expiring contracts of Chris Mills ($6.6 million) and Chris
Mihm
            ($2.8) to convince someone to make a deal. That's enough to
get
            Damp, but why would the Warriors give him up without also
getting
            rid of Van Exel? Then again, this is the Warriors we're
talking
            about.

            The Grizzlies have interest, but they would have to send
half their
            team to Golden State to make a deal work. Are Van Exel and
Damp,
            even in Hubie Brown's great system, really worth what it
would take
            to get them? Concerns about Van Exel's attitude and
Dampier's knees
            say no.

            If neither Dampier or Iverson go anywhere, where does that
leave us?
            Probably with an active trade deadline filled with much
smaller
            deals. Who has the best chances of being moved? Juwan
Howard, Marcus
            Fizer, Melvin Ely, Corliss Williamson, Michael Doleac and
some wacky
            combination of low-level Raptors players. Wake me up when
it's over.

            Here's the latest on the developing Vin Baker situation in
Boston.
            Baker's agent, Aaron Goodwin, keeps claiming Vin is able to
play,
            but the Celtics claim they've had no contact with him. Baker
missed
            his 10th consecutive game, which means the team can now
attempt to
            void the remaining two years on his contract. With Baker due
nearly
            $30 million over the next two seasons, a lot is at stake for
both
            parties. While dumping Baker and his contract would save a
lot of
            money, it really doesn't get the Celtics that far under the
cap. A
            lower payroll and roster flexibility will be nice. But
that's about
            all they'll see until the summer of 2006.