Re: Vin Baker

I'm pretty sure he was in the game for the last play though. The Celts were down either 1 or 2 (don't remember), but they needed a basket. I think there were only 2 or 3 seconds left. McHale did the honors on the inbounds pass. It was a lob to Dee Brown for an ally oop. Mchale threw it perfectly but as soon as Dee caught it in mid-air, he was pushed by a defender throwing off his balance and causing him to miss the shot. Time ran out. The officials, not wanting to decide a playoff game on a foul call, swallowed their whistles. The Celts were not happy but there was nothing they could do. As I remember, McHale announced his retirement in the locker room after the game.

From: Douglas342@xxxxxxx
To: Celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Vin Baker
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:47:53 EST

In a message dated 2/12/2004 9:25:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jpereira@xxxxxxxx writes:
Quite a monumental decision coming up on Vin Baker. It could have long-term
ramifications for the franchise. How many think this compares with not
trading McHale in the waning years of his career.
------Not exactly on point, but I think I remember McHale's final game for
the Celtics. They were losing the fifth game (?) against Charlotte (?) when
McHale went on a rampage, scoring about ten quick points and grabbing rebounds
left and right. Finally he looked to the bench and indicated he was exhausted,
so they pulled him amidst a huge ovation. It was a grand exit, albeit in a
loss.
(Am I remembering this right?)