Re: Vin Baker

At 12:47 PM 2/12/2004, Douglas342@xxxxxxx wrote:
In a message dated 2/12/2004 9:25:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jpereira@xxxxxxxx writes:
Quite a monumental decision coming up on Vin Baker. It could have long-term
ramifications for the franchise. How many think this compares with not
trading McHale in the waning years of his career.
------Not exactly on point, but I think I remember McHale's final game for
the Celtics. They were losing the fifth game (?) against Charlotte (?) when
McHale went on a rampage, scoring about ten quick points and grabbing rebounds
left and right. Finally he looked to the bench and indicated he was exhausted,
so they pulled him amidst a huge ovation. It was a grand exit, albeit in a
loss.
(Am I remembering this right?)

Yup. I remember being glad he went out with an echo of the old Kevin after a really tough season, even if I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what his stats were.
.
He admitted doing exactly that intentionally, saying that once he realized that was it, with no more need to 'save' himself for the next game and be careful to not hurt himself any more, he decided to just let it all hang out, have some fun playing again and give it all he had. He hadn't much enjoyed a season spent in a failed attempt to harbor his resources and not playing anything close to his own standards as a result and wanted to give people and others something better to remember him by.

Kevin's last game was one of the hardest for me to watch, because you could see in his very expressive face his complete consciousness as it was happening that this mostly about a lot of "last times" and watch him consciously trying to absorb the memories as they happened. Most athletes you don't see that until the speeches afterward, if at all.

Kim