disturbing omen for Baker

I looked at the official roster on the Celtics website--and Vin Baker is
not on it.  Now, it's been a while since I went there, and it's possible
they removed him as soon as he was suspended.  But that he's not there
NOW--less than seven hours before tipoff against the Bulls--doesn't bode
well for Vin in any case.

As I understand it from reading the articles posted today, a number of
points come to my mind:

1. Baker doesn't have to actually BE in Chicago--he could be reinstated and
simply join the team after the All-Star Break.

2. If he's NOT reinstated, the C's CAN terminate his contract--it doesn't
happen automatically, and gives the team a lot of leverage on Baker.

3. They could buy him out--and if he's playing well, they can do a
new--probably highly restrictive--contract for the rest of this season
until Raef comes back.

4. I don't see them quickly terminating his contract--a protest is a
cast-iron guarantee, and arbitration is iffy at best.  Also, it would
doubtless drag on through the rest of the year, something the Cs definitely
don't want.

5. Being ready to play and being ABLE to play are two different
things--even if he's doing better with aftercare and has been exercising,
he still hasn't really played NBA level basketball for over a
month.  Conditioning--plus the coaching change--will be a factor in
determining if and when he comes back.

Still and all, I'm still rooting for Vin to come back.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle