Re: Dr. Jack disses Cs potential and PP

At 09:22 PM 2/11/2004, Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:
>I generally agree with you Kim, but remember also that we were playing
>playing Baker in  addition to Raef. Walta wasn't seeing the light of day.
>We had a big guy at the four most of the time until Baker and Raef went
>down. Unfortunate.....

Fair enough, and look, don't get me wrong about any of this - I'm the one
usually warning about reading too much into stats because as one of my
favorite sayings goes, if you torture the numbers enough they'll confess to
anything <g>. So think of me as an expert torturer and take all of this
with a large grain of salt.

That being said, we were playing Baker well into January and his rebounding
productivity gets a bit distorted by three 10+ rebounds games in November
that were not exactly his norm. However, set a cutoff of Jan 5th for when
we were still playing Baker (he got a bunch of DNPs and a couple of
meaningless contributions after then). Compare the period with Baker but no
Raef to the period before Raef went down and there's still a drop off. In
fact, it's a slightly larger drop off: 4.4 total boards, which is almost
exactly equal to Raef's 4.6 RPG average. Some of Raef's loss was offset by
Mihm getting more minutes, since rebounds are what he does, while the one
stat that did go up during that period was team rebounds. All of which
indicates that there was something lost with Raef and it wasn't all Baker's
playing too that made the difference before then. In fact, the rebounding
since we lost both Baker has gone up slightly over the time Baker was
playing but LaFraenz wasn't. Not to early season standards with both of
them playing well, but with signs of others picking up some of the slack.

And that's without getting into things like minutes, where Baker was
averaging about 1.5 more RPG while they both played (which was also Baker's
peak play), but also 10 more MPG, with Raef having about the same 1.5 edge
in rebounds per 48 minutes.

Now the obvious counter argument to some of this is that we were getting
Baker lite, with Vin's visible decline starting to be evident around the
time Raef went down (and if you're into conspiracy theories about some of
the reasons WHY that decision and its impact on our season might have been
made then, now that we know there were earlier strikes against Baker....).
But he had 1 more 10 board game after and a bunch of lower rebound games
before, so that's at least in part perception over reality, especially
since I took out the bulk of the DNP games that would really undercut his
stats.

None of which proves anything really, except I think it justifies the broad
point that Grande and Max were making, that Raef did play a more
significant role on the boards, particularly the defensive boards than
memory might indicate. And therefore so did his loss.

Kim
Yeah, I know. Geek <g>
Next up - Walter.