Re: Dr. Jack disses Cs potential and PP

At 03:56 PM 2/11/2004, Berry, Mark S wrote:
I'm a Raef fan and a fan of the Antoine trade, but I'll freely admit
that if all we get from Raef is what we got this season, then he'll be
overpaid and have little value around the league. But I think he'll
bring much more to the team than that when he's healthy. Not only will
he be a better player with healthy knees, but he won't be competing with
the early-season Vin Baker for playing time. How valuable would a
healthy Raef be to this team right now? Does anyone think Walter would
be playing 40 mpg if Raef was healthy?

With all the talk we always have about rebounding problems, no one has mentioned some stats that back this up. It's actually something the radio broadcasters regularly discuss in general terms whenever considering Raef's injury and its effect. I've been importing all the boxscores into a database (yes, I've already been told by friends that I'm such a geek. OTOH, the individual and team data's there if anyone else wants any data analysis run - feel free to just ask), and so I ran the numbers to see how true it was. Raef's last game was 12/11. Our average total rebounds per game is down 3.75 since then (total rebounds = team rebounds + assigned off and def boards). The difference isn't team rebounds - those have been almost the same. It's clearly in the individual player stats. And the biggest difference is in the defensive boards - almost 3 per game.

Kim