Re: Dr. Jack disses Cs potential and PP

I'm a Raef fan and a fan of the Antoine trade, but I'll freely admit
that if all we get from Raef is what we got this season, then he'll be
overpaid and have little value around the league. But I think he'll
bring much more to the team than that when he's healthy. Not only will
he be a better player with healthy knees, but he won't be competing with
the early-season Vin Baker for playing time. How valuable would a
healthy Raef be to this team right now? Does anyone think Walter would
be playing 40 mpg if Raef was healthy?

Look around the league at the available power forwards. There aren't
that many. It's a tough position to fill. If Raef comes back healthy and
gives the Celtics 14 points and 7 rebounds per game - and I think those
are very reachable numbers - he's extremely valuable and tradeable. He's
a legit 6-11. He can face the basket and shoot. He can pass. He can run
the floor. If he averages 14 and 7 will he still be overpaid? Probably,
but he'll be a 6-11 overpaid power forward with ball skills who is under
30 years old. Those guys tend to have value around the league.

I think the view of this team will be vastly different next year at this
time. Barring unforeseen injury, they'll have Pierce, Davis, Welsch,
Lafrentz, Blount, Mihm, Perkins, Hunter, Banks, whoever they get with
the Mills contract (Brent Barry?) and whoever they get with the
mid-level exception. Plus two draft picks or whatever they get in trade
for those picks. And a new coach who shares Ainge's vision and a
complete training camp with the revised roster. And they still won't be
luxury tax payers if Baker's contract is voided. That sounds like a team
in pretty good position. And does anyone really believe Ainge is
finished? Any or all of those guys could be packaged in a trade. Watch -
when Kendrick is starting, Lafrentz is alongside him at PF, and Ainge
finally finds his point guard - and I could see all that happening by
the time the 2005 season starts - this team will be among the best in
the East.

Finally ... Sean, it's impossible to carry on a debate with you. Several
posters have referred to actions and behaviors by Antoine that they have
either seen or have been well documented, yet you insist they provide
proof - like there's surveillance video out there somewhere that we can
access and post to the list. Antoine's own quotes, quotes from
teammates, quotes from coaches and front office personnel, quotes from
beat writers ... none of it is evidence as far as you're concerned. (By
the way, were you on the OJ jury?) Meanwhile, you insist there were
better deals out there for Antoine. Why? Because there had to be. Hold
onto him for a year and a half, risk him walking for nothing, delay any
significant style change to the team for two seasons, because, of
course, his value would be better then. Never mind his declining
production and reputation around the league. But now I'm on a tangent
... back to my point ... The irony is you want evidence for statements
that have been accepted as fact by virtually everyone - even most
Antoine fans - and yet you argue that Ainge could have gotten a better
deal without any indication at all that that's the case.

Mark