Re: TV

At 03:00 PM 2/11/2004, Douglas342@xxxxxxx wrote:

>     OK, here's what I hate about watching basketball on TV, in no
> particular order:
>    1.  Willie Maye and his ilk, the sideline guys who offer virtually
> nothing.

I'm in total agreement there.

>    2.  The shrieking PA announcers, especially the guy in Miami, who
> shrieks constantly.

Especially when their guy hits, it's "OUR GUY FOR THREEEEEEEE", and when
our guy hits, we need closed captioning to know what the PA guy said.

>    3.  Music while the game is going on.

I'll never understand why that isn't banned from every arena.  There's a
fine line between gamesmanship and simply irritating behavior, and playing
music loud enough to be heard next door while the game is in progress
crosses WAY over the line.

>    4.  The use of replay to show all of Pierce's 8 baskets in a span of
> ten seconds, used as a promo for the next game.  Ditto when they show
> "first half highlights" consisting of 20 baskets in ten seconds.

FSNE also seems to think the replay of the play we just saw is more
important than the live action that followed the play we're seeing
again.  They're WRONG.

>    5.  Tommy yelling about the refs although I like the quiet Tommy
> analyzing the game or team.  He IS called an analyst, right?

Tommy is an intelligent man, and his insights are frequently incisive. He
also happens to be unapologetically emotional and partisan about his
team.  Does he sometimes go overboard?  Yes, but sometimes seeing HIM
explode helps ME keep cool about it.  It probably helps the C's too--the
refs are so busy being ticked at Tommy's bombastic comments, the Coaches
seem serene by comparison.

>     I am glad the Cs don't have cheerleaders, but can't object to them
> much.  I told my wife that the entire Clipper cheerleading squad has less
> body fat than I do.   Thank you for listening.

Cheerleaders are nice for high school games, and probably college
games.  There's no need for it at the professional level--we have fans for
that.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that when the Centah gets really noisy,
the pitch is way in the upper ranges?  Either there's a lot of kids, or a
lot of women--or there's 3,000 munchkins in the cheap seats.  :>)

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle