Carroll

I'm trying to be patient with our interim coach, but Carroll is just killing me. It's great that he's opening up the offense a little and has the team running some ... but in every other respect he seems to be Jim O'Brien with an unexplainable substitution pattern.

People will disappear for 20 minutes at a stretch (Jiri, Mihm). Blount playing a full 48 minutes? Pierce playing an entire half without a rest, despite the fact that our No. 2 and No. 3 best players are at the same position? Forty-plus minutes of Walter?

Shouldn't he be trying to put some kind of personal imprint on the team, to impress his current or future employer? Shouldn't he be getting the rookies some small bit of playing time? The only personnel change thus far is that he's starting Mihm every game ... and then playing him even less than O'Brien did, because WALTER MCCARTY IS SO FREAKING VALUABLE. Granted, John Thompson is somehow impressed with Carroll. During that Cavs game he must have said a dozen times what a fantastic coach he is, based on ... what? Did Thompson play against Carroll's Duquesne squad or something. I can't figure out what he was basing this on, other than former coaches think every current coach is wonderful.

There are going to be a lot of teams looking for coaches in the off-season, maybe Danny should get his full-time guy, be it Jerry Sichting or Paul Westphal or whoever (please, not DJ), in place right now.

STEVE O