Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Mark Berry Dissects Banks

Beg to differ, Rayboy Boy. I have made my comments on Banks recent play. But
is the conclusion that he is a backup point guard right now relative to other
starting points? I would say yes at this stage. But is Berry trying to
conclude that Banks is a back point guard for his career? Jumpiing to these type of
conclusions is nothing new. That is why Danny has quoted that the Cs need to
hold on to their guys and see what they have after 3 years like JJ and Billups.
Let me remind you that Kevin Johnson, Steve Nash, Gary Payton and Mark Price
all sucked their first year. KJ was traded after his first year for Price. GP
was almost traded to the Cs  and Nash was traded and he was almost run out of
Dallas after his second year. Point guard is a VERY VERY skill position Mr
Berry. You can't make declarations like that for three years. And if players like
Kevin Ollie can start in the NBA, just imagine Banks with a couple years of
experience. Think LONG TERM.....(And to say that Billups was a better passer
than Banks his first year. Wrong. Billups had good three point range and was a
tough defender and could tail the free throw. That was it. He was a horrible
passer. I still remember Cousy getting on him for penetrating, getting caught in
the air and then trying to lay it down at the last minute.)....

DJessen33

<< Good points by Mark Berry below. I am not a Banks fan,
 as I like my PGs to be 1) Playmakers and 2)Shooters.

 Defense, which Banks appears to excel at, falls to number three
 among desired PG skills.

 The great PGs like Magic, Stockton, Price, etc. emphasized those
 first two skills, which are Banks weak points.

 "On the point guards - You really feel it at crunch time, when you
 desperately need to get a good shot, you need your point guard to
 make
 sure you get that shot. The Celtics have two guys who don't do that.
 Yes, Banks plays good defense. I'm seeing little progress in running
 the
 team. Check that - I'm seeing no progress in running the team. And
 James
 is what he is. He's a good backup point guard. The Celtics have two
 guys
 who probably should be backup point guards. I know everyone is going
 throw Chauncey Billups out there when I'm criticizing Banks, but
 let's
 get a few things straight about Billups - 1. He was/is bigger than
 Banks; 2. He was/is a better shooter than Banks; 3. He was/is a
 better
 passer than Banks; 4. seven years later, he's still not a point
 guard.
 So if Billups is your argument for having patience with Banks, then I
 think that's a flimsy argument. Unfortunately, there aren't many
 upgrades out there. Brent Barry would be an upgrade."  >>