Re: Baker Deadline?

First, Vin's not--to my knowledge--a junkie.  He's an alcoholic.  I know,
there's those who reasonably ask "what's the difference?"  The difference
is that alcohol is legal, while drugs--at least those used by the
stereotypical "junkie"--are not.  That means that Vin only had to hide the
fact that he was drinking more than most people, for the wrong reasons, and
not handling it.

Had he been taking--for a hypothetical example--Heroin (which is nicknamed
"junk" and the original derivation of the term "junkie")--he would have to
make sure no one ever knew he'd so much as been in the same room with it,
much less using any.  as an alcoholic, he's more clearly recognized as
having a disease.  Had it been something like the hypothetical heroin--or
grass, or whatnot--the penalties would have been much more severe, as a
number of former NBA players could tell you (with the exception of that
phenomenally lucky player in Portland).

As to your prediction of his getting another strike this season--well, he
might.  That's not a reason to knock Vin.  Of all the people I've
personally known who had any kind of a drinking problem, none of them ever
quit successfully on the first attempt.  Perhaps it means an NBA career is
not a good idea for Vin right now--but let's face it, the man has to earn a
living and this IS what he does.

I've speculated myself that the C's might terminate his present contract in
order to resign him for a minimum deal--which in the NBA is still a lot
more than most of make in ten years.  I don't presume to know what Danny
Ainge or the owners are thinking, I just sit on the doghouses and make the
best, most informed guess I can, then wait to see what happens.

I disagree that the only way he can help is by freeing up cap space--just
last night, Ainge stated that the C's were diminished without Raef and Vin
in the lineup, leading me to think he's at least willing to consider giving
Vin one more chance.  Under what circumstances such a chance would be given
is something probably known only to vin and the team.

But as I've said in the past, the primary job of a fan is to root for the
team, and Vin is part of the team.  So I'm rooting for Vin.

At 09:07 AM 2/10/2004, David A Wickerham wrote:

>Wow. Take off the green colored glasses. Vin Baker is not going to be a
>meaningful part of this team now or ever. He is a junkie, and even if he
>returns, he'll get another strike before the season is over.
>
>Hey, I was one of the fools that didn't whine when we made the trade. I
>thought it was a swing for the fences, and had the potential to make the
>Celtics relevant again. Instead, it was a swing and a miss. If he is not
>activated by Wednesday Night's game, the power to deal with him shifts
>from the Doctors to the team. At that time the Celtics should terminate
>his contract or force him to restructure his deal so all of it is off the
>books at the end of the year. The only way Vin can help us now is by
>freeing up cap space.
>

>On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:13:56 -0500 Snoopy the Celtics Beagle
><snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>As I dimly recall, IF Baker is still suspended AFTER the 10th, the C's
>theoretically can drop him. If they did, I'd expect it to be contested, at
>least pro forma, by the Player's Union.
>
>Yet, in tonight's game, Ainge lamented the lack of Vin as an inside
>presence. My personal thought is they'll keep baker, but use the threat of
>a contract termination to hold over him. That would also give Boston the
>advantage of leaving Baker unprotected in the bobcat expansion draft if he
>plays badly or not at all.
>
>If Baker gets back on track, then things get very interesting. :>))
>

>At 07:59 PM 2/9/2004, Bos3332@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >I thought I remember someone on the group saying that there was a deadline
> >for Vin coming back to the team before we can void his contract. For some
> >reason
> >I thought the dealine was set for Feb. 10, 2004 for him to be cleared by
> the
> >doctors to come back if not the Celtics could void his contract. Anyone
> know
> >for sure the deatails?
> >
> >Tony

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle