Ten things we learned this week in the NBA

Ten things we learned this week in the NBA

 Feb. 6, 2004
By Mike Kahn
SportsLine.com Executive Editor
Tell Mike your opinion!

 SEATTLE -- The week before the All-Star break and nothing could have been
more infuriating than to see the horrible way in which a veteran NBA official
mistreated an entire team Monday night ...

1. Item: Chicago Bulls coach Scott Skiles was fined $7,500 for saying the
following: "Jess Kersey turned his back on me right from the beginning of the
game. I'm not sure why. We weren't even getting on him at all at that time. He
spent most of the game not even acknowledging any of the questions we had or
anything else. And really, he was a big baby out there, and it's really a shame
for a guy of his experience to be that way.
 What it really means: The NBA still doesn't understand how much certain
officials undermine the integrity of games. Kersey refused to discuss anything
with Skiles throughout the game and ejected young 7-foot center Tyson Chandler
with a second technical foul that was nearly as dubious as the first one.
Then, in the waning moments of the game, Skiles was wrongly informed of his
timeout situation and was tagged with a technical foul as well. Even then,
Kersey didn't explain it to him. Kersey and the Bulls locked horns early in the
year when he essentially cussed out rookie Kirk Hinrich for complaining about
the lack of respect. Hinrich then told Bulls general manager John Paxson, who
put in the requisite call to executive vice president Stu Jackson.
Jackson chastised Kersey for it, and the next time Kersey did a Bulls game,
he approached Hinrich with, "So, you had to go tell your general manager on
me?"
Let's face it, Kersey is well past his prime anyway. For him to carry grudges
into games with the Bulls not only puts into question the subject of
suspension, but the fairness of any game he officiates. And the NBA can ill afford any
such status.

2. Item: The NBA All-Star starters and reserves have been named, with neither
rookie star -- LeBron James nor Carmelo Anthony -- being named to the team.
What it really means: The coaches let it be known they won't be bullied into
voting for teenagers. Without question, both deserved to be included
considering what they have done for their teams and the league overall. James has
already said he won't go if someone is hurt and they go back to him as a sub, but
expect that to change. The problem is the league decided to put the
rookie-sophomore game on Friday instead of in the middle of the Saturday mess just to
showcase the duo. Will they play in both if they are added? Doubtful, and then
that would put a huge damper on the Friday event. Hmmm, think there's any
correlation between the snubs and the time and date of the rookie-soph game?

3. Item: Seattle SuperSonics guard Ray Allen was named to the West All-Star
team despite missing 25 games due to ankle surgery. Ironically, Gary Payton,
the man who Allen replaced as the cornerstone of the Sonics, was left off the
squad after nine straight appearances.
What it really means: Payton, who left Milwaukee as a free agent this summer
to join the Los Angeles Lakers, really got overlooked. As the Lakers were
reeling thanks to injuries to Shaquille O'Neal, Karl Malone and Kobe Bryant, it
Payton was there every game preventing them from falling into an open and
waiting abyss. Keep in mind the Lakers still have the fifth-best record in the West.
Can you name the other four starters with whom Payton has been playing? Yeah,
sure.

4. Item: After being hobbled most of the season with ankle, back and shoulder
problems, young San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker is finally healthy again.
Keep in mind, he went through training camp last season, 106 games (regular
season and playoffs), then went home to France, went through two-a-day training
camp, and then played in the Olympic qualifier.
What it really means: By the time training camp started this season, he was
already tired and battered. And for all the love of their countries, this is
coming to a head for a lot of players and teams. "I don't think I'll ever do
that again," Parker told SportsLine.com on Thursday. "My job is to play for the
Spurs. I love playing for my country, but I have a contract to think about and
my future. I'm just now starting to feel good again."

5. Item: After Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson unloaded 36 points on
the Toronto Raptors in an unsettling 93-80 loss Tuesday night, he unloaded on
his teammates, saying they lacked "heart and a sense of urgency." Then Thursday
night, he poured in 39 points as they blew out the Los Angeles Lakers 96-73.
What it really means: The Sixers really miss the tight rein coach Larry Brown
had on them, and that's not a slap at replacement Randy Ayers. They have
always been a band of overachievers around their brilliant superstar, and
Iverson's two partners from the 2001 Eastern Conference championship -- Eric Snow and
Aaron McKie -- are just about finished.

6. Item: Kobe Bryant was supposed to travel with the Lakers to Philly -- his
hometown --
despite not being able to play while his severely cut finger is healing. But
instead, he never called, blew off the team plane and didn't show up. On one
hand, it is evident Bryant didn't want to deal with the taunts from the Philly
fans over his pending sexual assault case.
What it really means: The Lakers still don't know when they can count on
Bryant. Will he leave for good this summer as a free agent, or will he stay? More
than the injuries on this team, it is the lack of trust in Bryant that stands
to undermine this team's chance to win its fourth NBA title in five seasons.

7. Item: Memphis Grizzlies coach Hubie Brown won his 500th game as a pro
coach (398 in the NBA and 104 in the ABA) in the Grizzlies' 103-101 win over
Washington on Wednesday night.
What it really means: Brown, 70, had really been overlooked as an exceptional
coach until Jerry West called on him to save the team a year ago in the
throes of an 0-13 start. Taking a 27-21 record into the weekend, one more win ties
the franchise record for victories they set a year ago. Think about that ...
in the first seven seasons they never won more than 23 games and it required
Brown's prodding to finish 28-41 after the wretched start. Now they are in
position to make the playoffs. Hail to Hubie.

8. Item: The judge presiding over the Jayson Williams trial ruled a sworn
statement from teammate Dwayne Schintzius is inadmissible because it would
"inflame the jury."
What it really means: He's right. Williams has given new meaning to the term,
loose cannon. Incredibly enough, after a night of drinking, Williams bet
Schintzius $100 he couldn't drag Williams' Rottweiler Zeus out of the house. When
Schintzius pulled the dog out by his hind legs, Williams pulled out his
shotgun and shot the dog in the side and the head, then threatened Schintzius,
saying, "Shinbone, get this (expletive) dog off my porch or you're next."

9. Item: We are now less than two weeks away from the Feb. 19 trade deadline
and the Portland Trail Blazers still haven't traded Rasheed Wallace, in the
final year of a contract that pays him $17 million this season. In fact, the
Blazers, who had the worst road record in the NBA a few weeks ago at 2-16, have
won five of six on the road and five of six overall to move back to within
striking distance of a playoff spot.
What it really means: They can't get value for Wallace because there is no
promise he'll re-sign with whichever team he's traded to, and the Blazers won't
take on any bad contracts. Chances are increasing he'll be there for the rest
of the season and might sign an extension, with the only realistic team now
the Atlanta Hawks with Shareef Abdur-Rahim dangling. Seattle has also talked to
the Hawks about Abdur-Rahim, with Brent Barry, Jerome James and Vladimir
Radmanovic possible bait.

10. Item: The Turner Network announced there would be a seven-second delay
for all televised entertainment during All-Star Weekend. It's just another fear
factor over possible copycats of the Janet Jackson breast revelation at h
alftime of the Super Bowl.
What it really means: I've got a better idea ... get rid of the entertainment
altogether. Whatever happened to just plain basketball? Let's get rid of all
the noise, beautiful dancing girls, dancing fat guys, mascots posing as giant
animals and throw back the uniforms to where they belong -- the 20th century.
In Thursday's televised game against San Antonio, Seattle guard Flip Murray
tugged on his ridiculously high socks five times and straightened his oversized
headband three times within the first two minutes he was on the floor. With so
many people talking about respect for the game these days, the marketers must
believe the game needs all the help it can get. How about a nice rendition of
the national anthem and just basketball for a change?