Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Re: Power forward is what ills us

Fabio,
I think we all respected Obie. But I never liked his MO, even when the Cs
won, at least at the offensive end. But a real good coach is one who can adapt to
the situation. Pat Riley has coached both an uptemp team and a slowdown team.
Yes, Obie got more out of these players, perhaps more out of them than anyone
else could. But he apparently was a one trick pony. If he couldn't have a
defensive team that shot threes, which is his pedigree in college (Kentucky) and
with the Celtics, then he wouldn't/couldn't do it. But my main point is that
Obie gets credit for taking the Cs to the ECF but IMO, it was the right place,
right time with the Harter defense and the first year with the zone. The
overall results show that Obie's strategy wasn't working as the league had caught
on. You can blame it on Danny and say that if they just had EWill and Battie,
it would still work. But they had them last year and we were 6th or 7th in the
weak East and had many drillings, some record setting. How can people forget
that? How can people forget how on ABC's first game last year we get totally
blown out and Brent Musburger reminisces about when the Cs were great?

 I wish the people who correct me all the time with statistics would look up
(not meaning you here Fabio) and check our defensive stats for the last three
years. I would bet you see a decline.

Players in the NBA can hit open three point shots even they have time to
sight it in. Harter's defense allows for that (in addition to giving up offensive
rebounds) if the opposing team will pass the ball. It is no coincidence that Q
and Jackson got all those three pointers. It happened last year also. All
people remember is that little 5 game winning streak we had this year. Wow....

DJessen33

<< Frankly, I don't see soo many "Obie-lovers" here. I see objective
 people, who understands the good and the bad in what he did. I, for
 instance, liked the way his teams played defense and his defensive
 transition. I think we did not have enough talent to play better
 offense through motion or general passing game patterns, but I admit
 he could have at least tried some less ugly offensive plays. Anyway,
 as Bob Cousy used to say, the good coach is the one who gets the most
 out of the roster he handles. And to me O'Brien did exactly that. He
 won more than Pitino had done with the same players, and he won more
 than Carroll is doing with these ones. This doesn't necessarily mean
 I am an "Obie-lover": I am a "Celtics-lover". But I respected the man
 and still do. Although I think that, in the name of the Celtics, he
 shouldn't have left before the end of the season: he has some
 responsibilities on these losses too. Mice use to leave the ship when
 it's sinking, not men.... And, by the way, why is Harter's defense so
 bad? When Williams and Battie played it, we were one of the best
 defensive units in the league.... Harter is taking undeserved flak.

 Fabio >>