Nah nah nah nah, Nah nah nah nah, hey-ay ay, goodbye?

Bobcats eye C's Wallace

by Mark Murphy
Thursday, September 25, 2003

Celtics general manager Chris Wallace, whose name automatically pops up these
days when a team starts interviewing candidates to take charge of its
basketball operations, spoke Tuesday with officials from the NBA's expansion
franchise in Charlotte.

      Somebody's Got
      To Say It
      The Herald's fearless news coverage consistently gives readers the story
behind the story.
      Get Home Delivery
      Access Columnists
      Subscribe to eEdition

``It's just the beginning of the process for them, but I thought it went well,
and I feel very comfortable with Ed Tapscott,'' Wallace, who has been given
permission by his new C's boss, Danny Ainge, said of the Bobcats' chief
operating officer.

Wallace has developed a strong association with Tapscott, a former New York
Knicks GM. Tapscott has served as a consultant to a number of NBA teams over
the last decade.

Bobcats owner Robert Johnson hired Tapscott shortly after the BET founder was
awarded ownership of the franchise, which will begin play for the 2004-05
season.

Wallace went into his interview confident that the Bobcats can help themselves
at a time when most other teams are attempting to minimize penalties under the
luxury tax.

``They draft fourth (overall next June), and then first the following draft,''
said Wallace. ``The expansion process should not prove difficult for them to
navigate. Teams do not want to be stuck with a large number of heavy
contracts. They only have to take 14 contracts, and after looking at the
situation, I believe they can get in and out of that situation fairly well.

``I think this could be a great opportunity. I came away very impressed with
the potential that exists there. You're in the heart of basketball country,
there's great interest in the college game, and they have a very experienced
and savvy leader in Ed Tapscott.''

Bernie Bickerstaff, the general manager of Charlotte's WNBA franchise, the
Johnson-owned Sting, has also been mentioned as a candidate.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pick_upBH.gif]