Re: The Herald is alive and well: A plethora of Obieisms

What an incredibly snide reply.

--- Eggcentric@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > (Stops as in turnovers, or as in more defensive
> rebounds?)  - Egg
>
> < You're searching for things to attack, Egg.  Does
> it really matter what
>  kind of stop it is....as long as we end up getting
> the ball?> - Ubi
>
> IT'S AN EASY SEARCH. I THINK IT IS A FAIR QUESTION
> TO ASK IF OBIE
> HAS A PLAN FOR HIS TEAM TO NOT AGAIN FINISH LAST OR
> NEAR LAST
> IN REBOUNDS.

Um...yeah, he probably has a plan.  If you were last
in something and aware of that "lastness" (which
O'Brien undoubtedly is) then it's reasonable to assume
that he "plans" to address the issue.  So yeah, it's a
fair question...but rhetorical.

> > (On out, not at the Battie maginot line?
> Whaaaaaaa, or as Snoopy says,
> > Bleaah!  No wonder we were outscored by our
> opponents last season.)
> - Egg
>
> < I really don't even know what that means. > - Ubi
>
> TRANSLATION FROM FARSI TO ENGLISH:  SEEMS TO ME
> BATTIE HAS HAD
> THE FULL RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HARTER DEFENSE AFTER
> MOST OF THE
> GUARDS AND FORWARDS SERVED AS MATADORS.  THAT IS WHY
> I FEEL
> BATTIE IS UNDERRATED.

It really feels good to finally understand you.  And,
understanding you, I also agree...Battie is quite
underrated and one of the main reasons, if he can stay
healthy, that WE WILL BE BETTER THIS YEAR.  But more
of that later....

> > (We sure are banking a lot on this rookie.  A bit
> of Jalapeno pepper
> > inserted into a roster of boiled beef?) - Egg
>
> < Hell yeah, we're banking alot on Banks.  Why pick
> rookies that aren't
> going to help?  Do you see the inconsistency in this
> line of criticism? >
> -Ubi
>
> NO, I DON'T SEE THE INCONSISTENCY.  JUST ASK WALLACE
> OR SEVERAL
> OTHER GM'S ABOUT ROOKIES WHO AREN'T/WEREN'T/NEVER
> GOING TO HELP.
>
> < If Banks wasn't being counted on, you would
> criticize the fact
> that we got a non-impact rookie with the 13th pick.
> If we do count on
> him, you criticize the fact that our team is
> counting on a rookie. > - Ubi
>
> WHETHER BANKS IS COUNTED ON OR NOT DOES NOT MEAN HE
> WILL
> NECESSARILY BE AN IMPACT PLAYER.

Well, of course, "whether Banks is counted on or nor
does not mean he will necessarily be an impact
player."  That wasn't the point...and by removing my
inconsistency comment with the facts that support it,
you either were consciously attempting to miscontrue
what I said, or confused as to what I did say.  Let me
clarify.  Let's say that after picking Banks he has a
poor summer league.  Let's say that after that poor
performance, the Brain trust begins to downplay his
possible contributions for next year.  Let's say it
begins to look like Marcus may have to sit the bench
for a year or two.  You jump up and complain "why did
we draft another rookie, like Kedrick, Joe Johnson,
etc..., that we have to wait for."  In essence, since
no one is "counting on" Marcus, you would criticize
his drafting.  Conversely, we have the situation we
thankfully are currently in...where Marcus did wow em
in Summer League and is being counted on for this
year.  You come, negative as usual, and say how risky
it is to count on a rookie for your teams improvement.
  Here is where the inconsistency lies.  From the two
contridictory facts patterns that could possibly
result from the drafting any rookie, you find fault.
In essence, from two mutually exclusive possibilities
(projecting Marcus as sucking and having to sit or
projecting Marcus as playing great and impacting the
team), you come to the same conclusion (that the
Celtic's are stupid).  That's a contradiction or a
fault in your reasoning.

> > (Obie's silence on Baker is exactly what we didn't
> want to hear.
> > It appears Obie shrewdly doesn't consider alcohol
> solely responsible
> > for all those missed rebounds, muffed catches, and
> silly personal
> > fouls.) - Egg
>
> < Again, what the hell are you saying?  What do you
> want O'Brien to say?
> That's he's counting on Vinnie?  Yeah, that would
> work, let's place a
> bunch of pressure on our sensitive, recovering
> alcoholic. > - Ubi
>

> SOMETHING LIKE - ''I saw Vin and it appears he is
> making great progress.''
> WOULDN'T THAT BE A BIT MORE REINFORCING THAN THE
> SILENCE BIT IF
> OBIE HAD EVEN ONE OUNCE OF HOPE THAT BAKER COULD
> HELP THIS TEAM?

Well, O'Brien said as much today in the Globe.  The
weight you put on what our says or doesn't say is
quite surprising.  THESE AREN'T THE PURPORTED WORDS OF
JESUS, FOR CHIST'S SAKE!  Let's hold off applying our
post-structuralism, deconstructivist, and post-modern
literary analysis that we mis-learned in college.
O'Brien had what, like 3 quotes in the entire Murphy
column in question....you can't expect him to say
everything you want him to say (nor can we expect to
find it by reading between the lines).

> AS FOR PRESSURE, HOW MUCH MORE CAN BE EXACTED UPON
> BAKER?  THE
> CELTICS HAVE LITTLE CONFIDENCE IN HIS GAME (EVEN
> WHEN SOBER) OR
> THEY WOULDN'T HAVE SPENT THE SUMMER ATTEMPTING TO
> RID
> THEMSELVES OF HIS CONTRACT THROUGH ANY POSSIBLE
> LEGAL LOOPHOLE.
> AS IT STANDS, ONE DRINK AND IT'S ALL OVER FOR POOR
> VIN.  I'LL BE
> SURPRISED IF SOMEONE DOESNbT LEAVE A FULL FLASK IN
> HIS LOCKER.

Your insensitivity towards Vinnie's disease is pretty
bitchy of you.  Regardless of whether the Celtic's
want to get rid of him (a move well within their
discretion and something both financially and
competively wise), they still care for him as a person
and are doing their best to foster his recovery.

> > (Or even at second glance, since so many are
> counting on a rookie PG,
> > a discard from Cleveland, and a 56th draft choice
> to supply ''the
> > differences.'' ) - Egg
>
> < Subtle means that it's a little difficult to
> perceive. Thus the fact that
> you don't get it aint exactly a pertinent criticism.
> > - Ubi
>
> WHAT'S NOT TO GET? WE HAVE ADDED TO OUR TEAM A
> ROOKIE PG, A
> DISCARD FROM CLEVELAND, A 56TH DRAFT CHOICE, AND THE
> HOPE THAT
> IN A FEW YEARS (NOT THIS YEAR) AINGE WILL MAKE OUR
> TEAM A TRUE
> CONTENDER.

Remember your most underrated player, Battie?  Well
he's finally healthy.  We'll be better there.
Remember Vinnie?  Well, he's not drinking anymore.
Remember Antoine?  He's slimmer.  Remember Paul?  He's
had a summer of rest.  Remember Kedrick?  He's not
injured, has a point guard to get him the ball and a
GM that realizes that he shouldn't be stationed at the
3 point line.  Remember Delk?  He actually gets to do
what he's good at...come in, play 2, and shoot the
hell out of the ball.  There are plenty of reasons
this team is going to be better than last year...and
these reasons are subtle....and the fact that you
recited all the non-subtle reasons teams are usually
considered better (draft, free agency and trades in
subtlely has escaped you.  It's called subtle for a
reason....because every sportswriter in America is
going to overlook it when the pick the Celtics to
finish in the 6-8 seed range.

> > (The only reason we have 14 instead of the
> originally planned-for 13
> > is Ainge's generous $366,931 concession to the
> fan's universal outcry
> > to sign Hunter) - Egg
>
> < The point of the above paragraph is that things
> are better in terms of
> ownership than they were last year (and that, as a
> result, we may see
> a better team on the floor). > - Ubi
>
> I WOULDN'T COUNT ON THE OWNERSHIP BEING ALL THAT
> ''BETTER.''
> CLUELESS, BOTTOM-LINERS, AND INTERFERING COME TO
> MIND.

You are such a closed minded person.  The ownership
issue has improved.  Furthermore the owners are just
now embarking on how to be a good owner.  You just
don't step in and "get it".  It takes time,
reflection, and hard work.  Have a friggin heart.

> AS FOR SEEING A BETTER TEAM ON THE FLOOR THIS
> SEASON, IT'S POSSIBLE.
> YET IF MEASURED AGAINST OTHER TEAMS' IMPROVEMENTS,
> OURS MIGHT BE
> CONSIDERED MINIMAL.

Do you measure your own improvements against those of
everyone else?  Of course not, because you'd be
continually depressed.  Instead it is wiser to measure
your improvements (if any) against what came
prior...thus ensuring that you're always headed in the
rigth direction (or at least the knowledge that you're
not).  It's good that we're better than last year.
Live with it.  Forget about the other teams for right
now.  We'll have time to worry about them when we
actually play them.  Until then, let's concentrate on
ourselves.  As Buddha said, the only real change comes
from within.

Ryan