Re: The Herald is alive and well: A plethora of Obieisms

> (Stops as in turnovers, or as in more defensive rebounds?)  - Egg

< You're searching for things to attack, Egg.  Does it really matter what
 kind of stop it is....as long as we end up getting the ball?> - Ubi

IT'S AN EASY SEARCH. I THINK IT IS A FAIR QUESTION TO ASK IF OBIE
HAS A PLAN FOR HIS TEAM TO NOT AGAIN FINISH LAST OR NEAR LAST
IN REBOUNDS.

> (On out, not at the Battie maginot line? Whaaaaaaa, or as Snoopy says,
> Bleaah!  No wonder we were outscored by our opponents last season.)
- Egg

< I really don't even know what that means. > - Ubi

TRANSLATION FROM FARSI TO ENGLISH:  SEEMS TO ME BATTIE HAS HAD
THE FULL RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HARTER DEFENSE AFTER MOST OF THE
GUARDS AND FORWARDS SERVED AS MATADORS.  THAT IS WHY I FEEL
BATTIE IS UNDERRATED.

> (We sure are banking a lot on this rookie.  A bit of Jalapeno pepper
> inserted into a roster of boiled beef?) - Egg

< Hell yeah, we're banking alot on Banks.  Why pick rookies that aren't
going to help?  Do you see the inconsistency in this line of criticism? >
-Ubi

NO, I DON'T SEE THE INCONSISTENCY.  JUST ASK WALLACE OR SEVERAL
OTHER GM'S ABOUT ROOKIES WHO AREN'T/WEREN'T/NEVER GOING TO HELP.

< If Banks wasn't being counted on, you would criticize the fact
that we got a non-impact rookie with the 13th pick. If we do count on
him, you criticize the fact that our team is counting on a rookie. > - Ubi

WHETHER BANKS IS COUNTED ON OR NOT DOES NOT MEAN HE WILL
NECESSARILY BE AN IMPACT PLAYER.

> (Obie's silence on Baker is exactly what we didn't want to hear.
> It appears Obie shrewdly doesn't consider alcohol solely responsible
> for all those missed rebounds, muffed catches, and silly personal
> fouls.) - Egg

< Again, what the hell are you saying?  What do you want O'Brien to say?
That's he's counting on Vinnie?  Yeah, that would work, let's place a
bunch of pressure on our sensitive, recovering alcoholic. > - Ubi

SOMETHING LIKE - ''I saw Vin and it appears he is making great progress.''
WOULDN'T THAT BE A BIT MORE REINFORCING THAN THE SILENCE BIT IF
OBIE HAD EVEN ONE OUNCE OF HOPE THAT BAKER COULD HELP THIS TEAM?

AS FOR PRESSURE, HOW MUCH MORE CAN BE EXACTED UPON BAKER?  THE
CELTICS HAVE LITTLE CONFIDENCE IN HIS GAME (EVEN WHEN SOBER) OR
THEY WOULDN'T HAVE SPENT THE SUMMER ATTEMPTING TO RID
THEMSELVES OF HIS CONTRACT THROUGH ANY POSSIBLE LEGAL LOOPHOLE.
AS IT STANDS, ONE DRINK AND IT'S ALL OVER FOR POOR VIN.  I'LL BE
SURPRISED IF SOMEONE DOESNbT LEAVE A FULL FLASK IN HIS LOCKER.

> (Or even at second glance, since so many are counting on a rookie PG,
> a discard from Cleveland, and a 56th draft choice to supply ''the
> differences.'' ) - Egg

< Subtle means that it's a little difficult to perceive. Thus the fact that
you don't get it aint exactly a pertinent criticism. > - Ubi

WHAT'S NOT TO GET? WE HAVE ADDED TO OUR TEAM A ROOKIE PG, A
DISCARD FROM CLEVELAND, A 56TH DRAFT CHOICE, AND THE HOPE THAT
IN A FEW YEARS (NOT THIS YEAR) AINGE WILL MAKE OUR TEAM A TRUE
CONTENDER.

> (The only reason we have 14 instead of the originally planned-for 13
> is Ainge's generous $366,931 concession to the fan's universal outcry
> to sign Hunter) - Egg

< The point of the above paragraph is that things are better in terms of
ownership than they were last year (and that, as a result, we may see
a better team on the floor). > - Ubi

I WOULDN'T COUNT ON THE OWNERSHIP BEING ALL THAT ''BETTER.''
CLUELESS, BOTTOM-LINERS, AND INTERFERING COME TO MIND.
AS FOR SEEING A BETTER TEAM ON THE FLOOR THIS SEASON, IT'S POSSIBLE.
YET IF MEASURED AGAINST OTHER TEAMS' IMPROVEMENTS, OURS MIGHT BE
CONSIDERED MINIMAL.

> (So how come our bench strength shrunk to zilch-o last season?) - Egg

< Probably the aforementioned ownership issue....maybe that's why it
followed the part about how the ownership problem has evaporated. >
-Ubi

THE OWNERSHIP ISSUE HAS NOT EVAPORATED... CHRIS WALLACE HAS
EVAPORATED.  BAKER, SUNDOV, WOLKO?  FOR THE SAME MONEY, WE
COULD HAVE SIGNED MUCH BETTER.

> (Banks isn't marquee material?) - Egg

< Earlier you criticized the fact that were counting on Banks.  And now
you criticize the fact that Murphy is tempering his endorsement of Banks.
Chill out. > - Ubi

F -A -C -E- T- I -O -U- S?

< Here's your problem, Egg. You are searching for things to criticize. > -Ubi

AND I DON'T EVEN NEED GOOGLE TO FIND THEM.

 Egg