O'Neal trade...

I always preface my Walker trade comments with that I'm not an absolute
"trade Walker" person, but see him as our biggest bargaining chip.  I
agree that if Bird would do a Walker-O'Neal trade we should do it in a
heartbeat.  I've always wanted a classical low-post player.

There are a few problems with a possible O'Neal trade.  First he can't
be traded till December and I don't see Larry wasting this year with a
midseason trade.  If anything I would see him saying play out the year
and we'll see next summer (which is what O'Neal seems to be saying
publicly too).

2nd problem is O'Neal's Base Year comp. status -- means you have to get
a 3rd team with cap room involved (Utah, LA Clips, Miami).  Good
explanation at: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#74

But here's something that works in principle (though not till after
Dec. 15):

Indiana --> Boston:  Jermaine O'Neal
Boston --> Indiana: Antoine Walker
Indiana --> Utah/Miami: Fred Jones, Primoz Brezic, and Danny Ferry's
contract (though he takes a job w/ San Antonio soon) OR Jonathan
Bender, Fred Jones, Primoz Brezec, Jamison Brewer.

I imagine Boston would have to throw in a #1 to Miami/Utah to make it
worthwhile -- Bender's not enough to get it done, though Utah could
become the stringbean team with a frontline of Kirilenko, Bender and
Keon Clark.  I can't see Indiana minding losing Bender + cap junk.
Hell I'd throw in a #1 to Indiana or a couple #2s to get the deal done.

(the other) mark