Re: Oneal

Eggcentric@xxxxxxx writes:

> Yet another rabid Pavlov's dog response to the mere mention of Jermaine
> O'Neal.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

> Isn't it time you got over your support of Pitino, CeltsSteve?  That was
> then, now is now.  Must you continue to go back so many years to fight lost
> battles?

As most of the long time, serious posters who were around going back to the
days of the old AOL board(s) when the M.L. era was about to end already know, I
was very much against the Pitino hire. But as someone with an open mind, once
the hire was made and he was given the keys to the Kingdom, I (unlike
yourself) was willing to give him an opportunity to succeed. If my refusal to join
the feeding frenzy and lynch mob mentality you fostered and promoted as things
went south constitutes support in your eyes, then so be it.

> Two things have happened since that Pitino swashbuckling trade proposal.
>
> 1) O'Neal finally came into his own after five years in the league... two
> (or was it three) years after the Pitino trade proposal.  Would we have still
> had O'Neal under contract at the point of his epiphany? Additionally, could we
> have afforded to re-sign him now?

He was given a contract extension by Portland before he was traded to
Indiana. Just as he stayed with the Pacers until that contract expired and was
recently re-signed he would have likewise remained under contract in Boston. As much
as you relished  taking incessant shots at Pitino, then Wallace, and now
Ainge (is there a pattern of behavior I discern?) you already know that the C's
have 3 max contract players on the roster. So why bother asking questions you
already know the answer to?

> 2) Who knew then that we would eventually fritter away those valuable three
> 1st-round picks, thus adding credence to Pitino's proposed trade? - Egg

Why you did, of course. You only reminded us each and every time you
previously waved  or continue to wave your pom poms as "Susie cheerleader" for a
select few posters on this list that you routinely jock -- who coincidentally share
your opinions. Imagine that.

CeltsSteve