Re: Are things not hunky-dory in Dallas?

Thanks, Mark, for posting this...

A couple concerns, though, about this writer's
"points".  Antoine didn't come from a bad Boston team.
 Secondly, Antoine's the only one playing well for
that team right now.  Surely it's illogical to blame
to team's poor performance on the one player that's
actually playing well (very well, 20 points, 14 rebs
last game).  Thirdly, as Nash admits, he's rusty.  He
got absolutely destroyed by Payton on Tuesday night.
As Nash goes, so go the Mavs....so he needs to start
showing up if that team's going to get on the right
page.  Some may say that Nash feels rusty due to the
fact that Antoine is assuming more of a ballhandling
role.  However, in the Lakers game on Tuesday, Antoine
was not dominating the ball at all...he ran,
rebounded, passed nicely and defended (Shaq, of all
people, in the post).  I didn't see the Golden State
game, however...  From these factors, it seems as if
the writer of the article is just picking on the most
obvious (to your basic idiot sportswriter) target,
Antoine.  And I thought the Boston media was the only
one that did that.....shows what I know....

Ryan

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/7149360.htm

> [...]
> than two weeks. Antawn
> Jamison and Danny Fortson, plus guard Travis Best,
> are also newcomers.
> The Mavericks have little time to scrimmage.
> Instead, they do walk-throughs.
> It's teaching, not practicing.
> 'We started all over," Dirk Nowitzki said. "We spend
> a lot of time [in
> practice] standing around, because everything has to
> be explained to our new
> guys.'
> That's one way to legitimately excuse away the
> standing-around embarrassment
> of the opening-night road performance against the
> Lakers.
> The Lakers, of course, have newcomers. Why did they
> look so good in that
> opener? Shaq, for one thing. And they were playing
> the Mavericks for another
> thing. They were playing a team not even close to
> being ready to begin a
> season.
> Even with an eventual win against the Warriors, the
> Wednesday-night
> follow-up was much worse than what happened in LA.
> Considering the class of
> the competition, the Mavs went from embarrassing to
> disgraceful.
> Still, it was a W. And it was a scrimmage. Maybe
> they can milk more of both
> over the next four games. If you snooze, you lose.
> Lose valuable ground in
> the Western Conference.
> If it's any consolation, the San Antonio Spurs have
> also looked awful this
> week. That's a key foe, obviously, in the West.
> Another might be the
> Timberwolves, another rebuilt club also panned for
> its play, albeit a W, in
> the opener Wednesday night.
> But the Mavericks have changed more than players.
> The personality of the club suddenly appears
> different, and that's a spooky
> unknown factor.
> It seems Antoine Walker is quickly assuming a
> leadership role, or at least
> attempting it. He's a shot monger, that's for sure.
> The Mavs have never had
> a problem with the often touchy issue of shot
> distribution. But now? Stay
> tuned.
> Walker is also a chatty fellow. One reason the
> Celtics wanted him gone was
> his chatty personality. Management didn't want him
> as a dominant
> personality. But after two games, he's talking a lot
> on the floor. Again,
> how does that eventually go over, particularly with
> the Big Three?
> As the departed Nick Van Exel said about his former
> teammates before
> Wednesday's game in Oakland, "Everybody over there
> is so nice. There's not a
> mean-hearted person in that locker room."
> At the moment, however, there's a lot of confused
> people in the Mavs' locker
> room.
> The good ol' days (last season) never seemed so
good.