Re: What About This?

In a message dated 10/30/03 4:10:33 PM Pacific Standard Time,
RickDHome@xxxxxxx writes:

> Here's maybe a wild thought.  I'm not comfortable with too much Banks this
> season.  Not remotely implying he might not be pretty good down the line,
> but I
> think this team can make some hay this season.
>
> I want to join the chorus that likes our respectable 4 bigs rotation, and
> don't want to trade either Battie OR Williams.
>
> So, just as a stopgap one year minimum wage deal, how about bringing in Rod
> Strickland... just for this year.  Give Banks a little more time to develop.
>
> Seems reasonable to me, particularly at the veterans minimum salary.  I like
>
> that idea a helluva lot better than Battie for Knight, or some such thing (I
>
> know, I'm changing my tune).  Battie really has a pretty reasonable salary
> for
> what he brings to the table... at least for our team.
>
> I'm for bringing Strickland in this year.  What say you folks? -
> RickDHome@xxxxxxx

Rick,

Not a bad call. One teensy weensy detail would have to first be ironed out
and that is the C's would have to release and swallow the contract of somebody
else to make room for him. I can't envision the team doing that.

Also, he's not the easiest guy in the world to warm up to as a teammate --
given the number of different teams he's played for over the years (there has to
be a reason why Minnesota decided against bringing him back this year). He
also has a notorious reputation of being a party guy that likes to take a drink
or two or three; witness his past DUI's. That fact alone especially wouldn't
make him much of a support system for Baker. Not to mention after a tough road
loss his volatile temper might not take kindly to the C's new policy of
banning alcohol on the team plane and charter flights, either. :-)

CeltsSteve