Manny released...anyone want a slugger?

Baker starts anew: Thrills crowd with 15 points in return
By Dan Ventura
Thursday, October 30, 2003

This was even beyond Vin Baker's wildest dreams.

     As the Celtics forward was removed from the game with 32 seconds left,
the fans stood and rewarded Baker with a standing ovation after he scored 15
points and grabbed five rebounds in a season-opening 98-75 victory over the
Miami Heat last night at the FleetCenter.

     ``This was the biggest night of my career, the best night of my life,''
said Baker, who was suspended from the team in February and later entered a
substance abuse center. ``That ovation coming out of the game was a tremendous
moment for me and my family. I'm so appreciative of the fans for this
opportunity - I'm just overwhelmed right now.''

     No one knew what to expect from the 6-foot-11 Baker. He had a strong
preseason and looked to be a completely different player from the one who
struggled in his 52-game stint last year. But this was the first chance for
fans to see if Baker had indeed turned the corner.

     ``I'm just excited to be here, my family has come out here for the
game,'' said Baker, who got a huge round of applause as he was announced with
the other starters prior to tipoff. ``I'm just trying to calm myself down and
get ready to play.''

     Baker came to the Celtics as part of a five-player deal with the Seattle
SuperSonics on July 22, 2002. The Celtics had hoped that a return East would
spur Baker, whose numbers had been dropping since he averaged 21 points a game
for the Milwaukee Bucks in 1996 and 1997.

     It became painfully obvious that Baker was a shell of his former self.
His playing time dropped and he even suffered the dreaded DNP-coach's decision
four times. After averaging less than six points and four rebounds in 52
games, the Celtics essentially pulled the plug on Baker's season and he
subsequently checked into a facility to help curb his drinking.

     Celtics coach Jim O'Brien visited Baker and came away convinced that he
could be the answer to some of his team's inside deficiencies.

     ``I went down to see him at the hospital and we had a talk and right then
he was already talking about (last night) and when he could get back,''
O'Brien said. ``He admitted his difficulties and he said basically that, `You
can count on me next year.' ''

     The first step was last night against a Heat team in transition. With the
recent trade of Antoine Walker [news], Baker knew he was expected to pick up
his game to counter the loss of the two-time All-Star forward. With a
confident look seldom seen around these parts, Baker showed off an impressive
repertoire of turnarounds and short jumpers, while running the floor like he
did in the early days.

     ``I have a lot to prove to myself,'' said Baker. ``This has been a long
journey and I am ready to get back to work. There have been a lot of sleepless
nights along the way, but I am ready to work hard for this organization.''

     The first dividend came last night.
Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx