              homefind.com
              jobfind.com
               ; jobfind Print
              merchandise
              services
              personals
              Place an Ad

             Featured Links

                        Buy and Sell Tickets for Concerts and Sporting events

             Features
              Book Club
              Crossword Puzzle
              Coupons
              Horoscope
              Lottery Results
              Parents & Kids
              Weather

      CELTICS NEWS
                  Past 7 days Archives

                  HERALD INTERACTIVE TOOLS
                   View Text Version
                   Email to a Friend
                   Subscribe to the Boston Herald

                  RELATED CELTICS NEWS
                  'Toine exit a marketing mess: Trade snaggles C's media
office
                  Walker, Delk dealt to Mavericks for LaFrentz, Mills
                  Team effort gets C's in the win column
                  Kidd stuff for Banks
                  C's behind learning curve

                  RELATED OTHER NBA NEWS
                  Nets 90, 76ers 83
                  Martin set to lead Nets

      Baker gets hand, Banks gets talk
      By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
      Saturday, October 25, 2003

      On a night when Jason Kidd didn't play and the Nets kept their vaunted
running game in the starting blocks, there were nonetheless two major moments
of Celtic note in the Green's 86-82 preseason finale victory at the
FleetCenter.

           Vin Baker received a loud ovation (many people even stood) when he
fouled out of the game with 6:37 left in the last quarter. And while it was
largely under the radar screen, it was duly noted by the club when Paul Pierce
[news] took Marcus Banks [news] immediately aside on the bench after the
rookie was called for a technical foul in a tight game with 2:49 left.

           In the case of the former, Baker went for a nice eight points and
six rebounds in 18 minutes and displayed the kind of inside hustle that will
endear him to the crowd if he keeps it up.

           In the case of the latter, it was Pierce acknowledging how his job
description has changed since the departure of Antoine Walker [news].

           ``Oh, no, no,'' Pierce said afterward. ``That's uncalled for for
the rookies. We're not going to have that. I'm going to talk to him. We've got
a team rule: Rookies are not allowed to get technicals, so that's something
I'm going to deal with on a personal level.''

           According to Banks, the tech came about when he was caught jawing
back at a Net. He and Pierce discussed the matter further behind closed door
after the game.

           The Celts led by as many as 27 (it was 48-26 at the half) and began
fouling too much toward the end. Tony Battie led with 15 points and six boards
in 26 minutes.

           Pierce a lone captain

           With Walker gone to Dallas, the Celtics will not be adding to their
captain roster. Pierce will be the sole guy.

           ``At this point in time, I see no reason to change it,'' said
O'Brien. ``But that does not mean he is the sole leader.''

           The Celts started Pierce, Mark Blount, Kedrick Brown [news], Baker
and James against New Jersey last night.

           But O'Brien said that may not be the group that opens against the
Heat when the real games start next Wednesday.

           ``That seems to be very important to the media,'' he said. ``I'm
sure it's important to Miami. (But) I don't know what our starting lineup's
going to be.''

           The quintet could be the same, unless newcomer Raef LaFrentz gets
up to speed enough (and fits into the mix with the other four well enough) to
get the nod at center.

           Riley life of interest

           Pat Riley's sudden departure from the Miami bench caught a lot of
people at the FleetCenter by surprise last night.

           ``I was shocked,'' said Nets coach Byron Scott, who played under
Riley with the Los Angeles Lakers. ``He's a competitor. That's probably why
there's more shock than anything.'' . . .

           Eddie Palladino of East Boston (a Dom Savio grad) and now Saugus
had his second tryout for the public-address announcer job last night. . . .

           C's rookies Brandon Hunter [news] and Marcus Banks got to the game
a little more than an hour before tipoff.

           Banks was following Hunter and both got lost on the way in from
Waltham.

           ``If we didn't do some illegal stuff, we wouldn't be here still,''
said Hunter. . . .

           Rebecca Lobo took in the game from the courtside VIP seats. . . .

           When it was written here yesterday that the salary numbers didn't
work on a falsely rumored trade between the Celtics and Houston, it was meant
that the numbers didn't add up for Celtic needs.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of 01&1506129199423]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of fantasy_football_but.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of ace110x40.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of printer.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of email.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of home.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of more_headlines_symbol.gif]