'Toine exit a marketing mess: Trade snaggles C's media office

                              SEARCH the ARCHIVES

                              eEDITION I SUBSCRIBE

             News & Opinion
             Inside Track
             Business
             Sports
              Fantasy Football new
              Columnists

              Red Sox Coverage

              Celtics Coverage
               ; More Celtics
               ; Other NBA News

              Patriots Coverage

              Bruins Coverage

              Soccer
              Golf

              Auto Racing
              College
              High School
              Other Sports
             the Edge
              Arts & Entertainment
             Electronic Edition

             Classifieds
              carfind.com
              homefind.com
              jobfind.com
               ; jobfind Print
              merchandise
              services
              personals
              Place an Ad

             Featured Links

                        Buy and Sell Tickets for Concerts and Sporting events

             Features
              Book Club
              Crossword Puzzle
              Coupons
              Horoscope
              Lottery Results
              Parents & Kids
              Weather

      CELTICS NEWS
                  Past 7 days Archives

                  HERALD INTERACTIVE TOOLS
                   View Text Version
                   Email to a Friend
                   Subscribe to the Boston Herald

                  RELATED CELTICS NEWS
                  Baker gets hand, Banks gets talk
                  Share, and share alike: Minus 'Toine, Pierce & Co. spread
duties
                  Celtics paint new picture: Post-Walker era begins with rout
                  Results change grand plan
                  McHale: Old pal Ainge's moves make sense

      'Toine exit a marketing mess: Trade snaggles C's media office
      By Steve Bulpett
      Saturday, October 25, 2003

      From the moment Sunday night he knew Antoine Walker [news] was being
traded, Jim O'Brien had some serious reworking to do. There were two new
players to integrate into the Celtics' system and a rotation to be decided,
with the regular-season opener a week and a half away.

           When vice president of media relations Jeff Twiss learned shortly
after 8 o'clock Monday morning that Walker was on his way to Dallas, he, too,
knew he had some heavy work ahead. And not just coordinating informational
issues with the Mavericks.

           ``Our media guide had been printed, and we had to find out how
much, if anything, we could change,'' Twiss said.

           With Walker such a key to the Celtics and their public face, this
was a marketing mess of major proportion.

           ``When you make a trade of any significance - and this certainly
was a significant trade - you have to make changes in your marketing
materials,'' said executive vice president of marketing John Brody. ``He was a
co-captain. He was a warrior. He was a part of our team for seven seasons. So
we certainly had him incorporated in a lot of our marketing materials.''

           In addition to trying to alter the media guide, the Celts tried to
eliminate as many references to Walker as they could from Monday evening's
relaunch of the club's charitable foundation.

           ``It was a tough day,'' Twiss said. ``I was trying to get as much
done as I could, and I still had to pick up coach Auerbach at the airport.''

           Red was retrieved in time, but the media guide - a publication
available to the public, as well - was another issue. The more than 200 inside
pages were a done deal. They had been printed and bound.

           ``But the last thing to go on is the cover, and we were able to
catch that,'' Twiss said.

           The guides were due in the hands of all teams by the end of the
preseason, and the Celts first got permission from the league to extend that
by a few days. Mike Lissack from the media relations department then got
working on the cover.

           The team had originally chosen a posed photo of Walker, Jim
O'Brien, Paul Pierce [news] and Danny Ainge. ``We had a good one where
everyone was smiling,'' said Twiss. ``It was perfect.''

           The team was wise enough on media day to take photos in all sorts
of combinations, and fortunately there was a decent one with O'Brien, Ainge
and Pierce.

           ``WordTech did a great job for us in making the change,'' Twiss
said.

           That still left a lot for the marketing staff.

           ``We sat down and wrote a list of all the things we were doing, and
Antoine was on a lot of them,'' Brody said. ``Paul was on all of them. So we
had to make some changes, and now we have to move on with Paul and the rest of
the guys.

           ``(Walker) will remain on the tickets, but he was on some ticket
mailings we were doing and he was on some other materials and print ads, and
he's no longer a member of this family, so we had to make some changes.''

           There is also the matter of the hundreds of street banners, some of
which feature Walker. They're due to stay up through the end of this month,
but the team may ask the city to extend the run. It's not certain whether
they'll try to take down the Walker banners or replace them.

           ``We're still finalizing what we're going to do on that,'' Brody
said.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of 01&1320029029713]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of fantasy_football_but.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of ace110x40.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of printer.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of email.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of home.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of more_headlines_symbol.gif]