Re: Turned on the Celtics tonight and a basketball game broke out ... .

At 10:18 PM 10/22/2003, Jim Hill wrote:
What a pleasure to see the Celtics play fast-break basketball again.  Smoked
the Wolves with contributors up and down the lineup.

LeFrantz plays the way I like to see a guy play.  Hustle, taking open shots,
looking for others, diving on the floor, keeping his mouth shut and playing.

If they keep playing like this, some silly folks will need to eat some crow.

In fairness, Garnett sat out significant portions and Spree looked off most of the game and both have to be big contributors for the Twolves to do well. That being said, first game I've been at this season and a few thoughts, mostly positive.

Biggest overall impression - how little effect player rotations had on what the Cs showed on the floor. This is both bad and good, with no significant overall drop offs (vs a few individual differences, largely a matter of inexperience) - a HUGE improvement from last season- but that also meant consistency over sparkling highs, aside from a few plays. That's actually fairly amazing, considering the huge changes with recent additions and subtractions and style. Amazing how much Danny has managed to change the roster for good or evil in a short time. La Fraenz got a huge hand from the sparse crowd, integrated surprisingly well and played a lot more than I expected. Jiri looked nervous and unsure and clearly needs time. Looks more like a SG than PG but unfair to judge at this point. Pierce seemed to be making a conscious decision to distribute, wasn't hitting consistently but wasn't forcing it either. Surprisingly invisible except for the double teams he would draw. EWill on offense seems to have gone back to his younger days when he understood that his best game was driving to get a shot and/or a foul vs iffy step back outside shots with no foul shot. Offensive rebounds. We got them. Seems like a week's worth based on last season's standards. One of the first things to stand out early in the game. And not just one guy, which is even better. Vinnie continues to look well overall. Aggressive, able to move and hold on to the ball, and playing fairly smart. Continuing to look more like the guy we thought we had traded for. As to Jim's point above about fast break, no, I wouldn't say that. Running basketball, which is something below true break, but requires less familiarity among the players and is still an improvement that creates more open shots and is more fun to watch. Pierce flubbed attempted alley oop, but he tried. Then a few plays later Marcus (I think it was him not James) shows how it's done with one to Kedrick. I want to see a lot of that this season <g> Also, as to chemistry, the body language and little actions like a not ostentatious hug after a play indicate these guys are pulling for each other and seem to be integrating well despite all the changes - not even an old guys/new guys split. One game, but looks like things could be interesting to watch develop and that talk of change is not the lip service it's been in the past.

Ah, and one last thing for the conspiracy mavens among us - the guy next to me picked up a new keyring with a soft plastic uniformed Cs character attached to it. Who looks shockingly like LaFraenz. Looks like it was fated <key up Twilight Zone music>

Kim