Re: Back to sitting on the bandwagon

Great thoughts, Celtic4Hire.  Comments are
interspersed below...

--- Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Another preseason game, another blowout loss. You
> would think would have
> jumped off the bandwagon by now, especially since I
> was in the launch position and
> you guys nearly trampled me in your effort to get
> off. However, I actually
> see some breaks in the clouds. I am back to a
> sitting position on the bandwagon.
> Still alert, however.

I agree . . . I've never felt this good about a 30
point blow out in my life.  Detroit was just on fire.
Everything was going in . . . Prince in the first
quarter, Chauncey for the rest of the game.  Detroit
is scary good (and scary lucky too).

> We had many encouraging developments tonight inspite
> of the loss. The reasons
> for optimism:
>
> Good things
> 1) Kudos to Obie for not going back to the grind it
> out offense this game. We
> aren't going to see the track meet some hope for. I
> believe we will get some
> layups on steals, something we couldn't manage last
> year. I think this is as
> uptempo as it is going to get other than a few Banks
> to Kedrick connections.
> But this should help. I think the Cs are still
> struggling with a new, REAL
> offense and how their roles and spacing will be in
> non-isolation. Obie let it run,
> we did ok. (It was the defense that killed us in
> this game. However, I have
> confidence Obie will get that back in shape.) We
> will have to spend a lot of
> practices and early losses learning the offense and
> fastbreaking, making up for
> the lack of REAL offense and fastbreaking in the
> last couple of years. It is
> encouraging that Obie stuck with it with the
> exception of a third quarter PP
> isolation tear.

Exactly, we are running a real offense.  I did kind of
enjoy the PP isolation tear.  What impressed me was
Paul's anger (Paul is one of the few players on the
Celtics that can take his anger--be it at the refs or
at the opponents--and use it to play better).  Paul
was getting screwed by the officials (early foul
trouble) and ended up hardly playing in the first half
(along with Kedrick).  In the second half, he got two
more quick fouls and went back to the bench.  He
returned with 4 minutes left in the 3rd and he was
absolutely pissed.  Being down 30 points, he
absolutely willed us back to with 18 (then of course
we fell behind again).  He was the hardest working
player out there and provided a great example to the
rest of the team . . . on how to never give up and
keep fighting till the end (although he examplified
this "keep fighting till the end" attitude by
totalling disregarding his teammates and trying to
dribble through the entire Detroit defense . . . but
hey, it worked sometimes *smile*).

> 2) Banks looks like he is really starting to settle
> in. He is playing much
> more confidently and is finally breaking down the
> offense in a Tim
> Hardaway/Kevin Johnson fashion. He is also learning
> a great deal about how to finish
> against NBA competition. He will have to start using
> his body to guard the ball
> after making his great penetration and separation.
> He is making progress and
> getting the kinks out at a time when games don't
> count. You know your player is
> feeling comfortable when he is juking a player after
> he brings down the ball,
> looking for an openning instead of waiting for the
> center to come to down so you
> can start the offense. But he was recognizing the
> defense and breaking them
> down at will.

Yep, Banks had his best game so far (take that Chad
Ford).  He was blowing past defenders, finishing in
traffic and in general was much more relaxed . . .
that has been his biggest problem so far . . . he's
one of those high achievers who, in the beginning,
puts too much pressure on himself to succeed.  Now,
with a couple of games under his belt, he's starting
to settle it.  He will be the season opening starter.

> 3) Kedrick showed he could put up the numbers when
> asked to. I am kind of
> thinking he may look better in the second unit so he
> doesn't get lost in the
> PP/Twan show. He did disappoint me when he just
> blended into instead of attempting
> to dominate when he and the rookies finished up. He
> needs to bring his game
> at all times, especially when he is the best player
> of his team on the floor.
> That is a head/effort thing.

That's just Kedrick's personality.  He's not going to
hog the ball with the rookies...cause he remembers
what its like to be a rookie...and have someone hog
all the shots.  I'm glad he deferred . . . I wish
Antoine and Paul would do that more often with
Kedrick.  Also, did you catch the pregame interview
with Kedrick.  He has really grown up.  Previously in
the past two seasons when he was interviewed, he
looked scared, shy and generally unsure of himself.
But in the interview last night he was smililng, a
little cocky, and most of all comfortable in his own
skin.  Kedrick is growing up (wiping a tear from my
eye).  This is going to be a big year for him.
Actually, I was thinking that he's going to become the
#2 player on this team in the next 2-3 years.

> 4)Kendrick again showed nice footwook in the
> offensive post. I like his
> workman-like attitude. I thought he looked more
> familar and improved on defense.
> For the second game in a row, he reached across his
> body attempting to block a
> shot from a penetrator. This turns his body to the
> side making it a lot
> skinnier and easier to drive by. He needs to learn
> either to block shots with his
> left hand also or to just move over and take the
> charge. I also liked watching
> him get ahead of, accelerate and beat Darko down the
> court like the Chief used
> to do (Banks made a nice pass to reward him). The
> kid has a lot of basketball
> sense for a youngster. His body is really different.
> I can't think of anyone he
> reminds me of.

Kendrick is a beast.  He so reminds me of Chief.
Great in-game demeanor.  As for a body like his?  How
about Chris Carr...each have the scruntched shoulders,
the long arms and the surprising athletic ability.

> 5)Hunter always seems to dominate on the boards when
> given the chance to
> play. You got to think that would help the team and
> that Obie has to find some
> minutes for him (and Perkins). Nice posterization on
> a dunk over Darko.

Yeah, but with the ball, Hunter is quite Andrew
DeClerq-like . . . he tries so hard to do something
quick that he ends up just bowling everyone over.  But
that was quite a dunk of Darko (did you hear the other
time when Darko was victimized?  One of his teammates
said, "Block that shit dog!"  I love the NBA.)

> 6)Walker really played within the offense.
> Newsflash! He looked for Banks
> after garnering a rebound twice. I don't know if he
> took a bad shot. This was
> quite encouraging. Unfortunately, he only seems to
> do this (not forcing his
> offense) when he makes a couple of threes early and
> I don't think that is always
> going to happen.

Yeah, people need to lay off Antoine.  HE IS GETTING
IT.  Countless times he was skying for rebounds.  He
even ran the break and finished.  And he played good
defense on Prince.  Blocked him once with his
trademark wind-up swat (and should of had another,
except for a bad call by the officials).

Ryan