Back to sitting on the bandwagon

Another preseason game, another blowout loss. You would think would have
jumped off the bandwagon by now, especially since I was in the launch position and
you guys nearly trampled me in your effort to get off. However, I actually
see some breaks in the clouds. I am back to a sitting position on the bandwagon.
Still alert, however.

We had many encouraging developments tonight inspite of the loss. The reasons
for optimism:

Good things
1) Kudos to Obie for not going back to the grind it out offense this game. We
aren't going to see the track meet some hope for. I believe we will get some
layups on steals, something we couldn't manage last year. I think this is as
uptempo as it is going to get other than a few Banks to Kedrick connections.
But this should help. I think the Cs are still struggling with a new, REAL
offense and how their roles and spacing will be in  non-isolation. Obie let it run,
we did ok. (It was the defense that killed us in this game. However, I have
confidence Obie will get that back in shape.) We will have to spend a lot of
practices and early losses learning the offense and fastbreaking, making up for
the lack of REAL offense and fastbreaking in the last couple of years. It is
encouraging that Obie stuck with it with the exception of a third quarter PP
isolation tear.

2) Banks looks like he is really starting to settle in. He is playing much
more confidently and is finally breaking down the offense in a Tim
Hardaway/Kevin Johnson fashion. He is also learning a great deal about how to finish
against NBA competition. He will have to start using his body to guard the ball
after making his great penetration and separation. He is making progress and
getting the kinks out at a time when games don't count. You know your player is
feeling comfortable when he is juking a player after he brings down the ball,
looking for an openning instead of waiting for the center to come to down so you
can start the offense. But he was recognizing the defense and breaking them
down at will.

3) Kedrick showed he could put up the numbers when asked to. I am kind of
thinking he may look better in the second unit so he doesn't get lost in the
PP/Twan show. He did disappoint me when he just blended into instead of attempting
to dominate when he and the rookies finished up. He needs to bring his game
at all times, especially when he is the best player of his team on the floor.
That is a head/effort thing.

4)Kendrick again showed nice footwook in the offensive post. I like his
workman-like attitude. I thought he looked more familar and improved on defense.
For the second game in a row, he reached across his body attempting to block a
shot from a penetrator. This turns his body to the side making it a lot
skinnier and easier to drive by. He needs to learn either to block shots with his
left hand also or to just move over and take the charge. I also liked watching
him get ahead of, accelerate and beat Darko down the court like the Chief used
to do (Banks made a nice pass to reward him). The kid has a lot of basketball
sense for a youngster. His body is really different. I can't think of anyone he
reminds me of.

5)Hunter always seems to dominate on the boards when given the chance to
play. You got to think that would help the team and that Obie has to find some
minutes for him (and Perkins). Nice posterization on a dunk over Darko.

6)Walker really played within the offense. Newsflash! He looked for Banks
after garnering a rebound twice. I don't know if he took a bad shot. This was
quite encouraging. Unfortunately, he only seems to do this (not forcing his
offense) when he makes a couple of threes early and I don't think that is always
going to happen.

7)I think this is the first time in two decades where we actually have some
young talent to develop to finish up blowouts (Brown, Banks, Perkins, Hunter).
It has been that long, folks. Things are looking good long term.

8)Baker again showed great improvement in his defensive movement, rebounding
and finishing. Last year, all of the centers, even the stiffs, would just
dribble past Baker. Not anymore. It sure seems strange that Obie hasn't figure a
way to design a few plays for him. They seem to want him to play backup power
forward. However, I think he is so much better than Battie and Blount. Perhaps
he doesn't want the pounding. I like Baker with the second unit. But I think
he has to get more time, likely at center.

I am adjusting my win total down. However, it we can continue to get Obie to
look long term, I think we will still make the playoffs, go on a second half
of the season tear and have a terrific team at playoff time.

Bad things
1)The bloom is off the rose on James. I like the way he is willing to pass
the ball up the court but his shooting is really disappointing. He is definitely
the backup behind Banks on openning night.

2)PP was in foul trouble a lot and seemed a little disinterested. He was able
to make it a little interesting in the third when he went on a isolation
tear. Unfortunately, the Pistons caught on and soon it was 1 on 5. That didn't
dissuade Paul and he made a few of the St Paul haters sleep well tonight.

3)Battie just isn't impressing. He hasn't yet pulled down a rebound in
traffic. He is beginning to remind me of Blount. I still don't know what the coach
sees in Blount. Brown played Campbell and Wallace together and it just doesn't
seem like we can handle the beef. Does it seem like a slender Battie and a
slimmer Walker can battle Campbell and monster Wallace even up to you?

4)Doesn't Okur remind you of Bill Lambier with his smirk?

5)I really think that a large reason why I liked the substitution so well was
that Delk and Walter weren't available. Can we make that permanent?....

DJessen33