Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Which teams made the right moves?

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 11:37  AM, bdodgers@xxxxxxx wrote:

> "Very few rookie NBA point guards thrive in the league."

	Chad Ford
*********************
	Thanks, George. Glad to see you're back, safe and sound. Did you read
about Brooklyn getting the Nets? Talk about mixed loyalties, eh?
	As for Chad, our favorite Celtics basher; he writes here, what is
unquestionably known by the "cognoscenti" and learned and relearned by
every over ambitious, young GM, or coach, who tries to save his career
by anointing the "point guard of the future," as his point guard of
NOW. Even the Spurs, who perhaps, were the team most able to get by
with a young point guard at the helm, had to bench Parker for the
finish of some of their playoff games (see the rise of Speedy Claxton).
	Ainge had the opportunity to bring in a real (and veteran) point
guard, along with Banks, but he insisted on "forcing" O'Brien to play
the rookie, by not doing so. As I've written; ad nauseum, James is
Delk, without a shot and won't be of any help in the transition. Anyone
see any evidence to the contrary, yet?
	If you were watching  at home last night; we saw Banks bringing the
ball over half court and passing on the circle to Walker. Just like
Milt, just like Delk. How long before O'Brien inserts Delk back; who
can shoot and play O'Bie's defense? As long as it takes for Delk to get
healthy.
	It's a shame. Perhaps for those who say: "it's a development year,"
you think it's OK, but wait until the debris  is lifted and you see all
the bloodied bodies lying on the road, before you rush to judgment.
	Both sides are right. Walker, Pierce and O'Brien in saying that the
"new" offense isn't working, but so is Ainge, in that change is needed.
	It didn't have to be this way. Ainge missed an opportunity. There were
a few good candidates there, including Jacques Vaughn, who played with
Pierce at Kansas. We could have had a smooth transition; but what now,
if Mark Jackson and Rod Strickland are the only free agents left and
trade pickings are slim, at point guard? I'm not hopeful of any major
upgrade that could pick us up out of this morass. At this point, it's
probably too late to save this season (dramatic, eh?) for the Celtics;
along, probably, with O'Brien's and Walker's future in Boston and it's
a shame.

	JB

Unchain My Heart!