Thoughts from last night

I loooovvvveee David Ortiz!

Opening tap - looks like Blount tips it to Detroit, who promptly runs to the hoop and scores. First C's possession, Antoine takes it into a crowd and travels. groan...

After that, things looked up. Toine is hardly recognizable - even his face looks really different. He did get into the running game, and had some nice finishes. Pierce seemed rested and healthy. It's too much to ask players to sandwich a summer season of olympic ball in between NBA seasons. They didn't play much last night.

Baker looked *great*. He hauled down one rebound and immediately threw a full court outlet pass that resulted in a basket. Nice court awareness, really in the game.

Kedrick Brown was a lot more involved than last year. His shot was going down, plus he had the usual blocks, dunks, and rebounds. Looking good!

And the best, makes me wanna shout, I can't believe we got him, goes to Kendrick Perkins. Wow! He's about as tall as Milicic, just with less neck, but his massive shoulders are about the same height. He exudes a seriousness of purpose that belies his age (an anti-Forte). He showed a jump hook (Tommy was ballistic about that), blocked shots, even took some long outside shots. Very confident, great body - you could just smell the talent. With Battie's knee problem, I expect to see more of Perkins than just riding the pine waiting to grow up.

I loved the frontcourt of Kedrick, Baker, and Perkins.

Blount had his usual cement hands. I didn't see what O'Brien was raving about. Mike James did well, Rusty LaRue had a nice shooting touch. Hunter was less polished than Perkins, but I liked his attitude. Eric Williams same as usual. Walter did not play very well. Mateen Cleaves looked awful. He seemed embarrassed to play with the 2nd/3rd unit, thought he was better than that, etc. I didn't see anything worth keeping.

Loved the running game - but they have to keep it up. They came out slower for the 2nd half. Kedrick definitely benefits from the uptempo.

Lots to be excited about here. Antoine, Pierce, Baker, Kedrick, Kendrick, James, Banks - lots of talent. They'll need time to gel, and there will be times they revert to standing around waiting for Walker/Pierce to shoot, but this team can take the Atlantic. Difference makers from last year will be Kedrick, Kendrick, and a svelte Antoine.

I was clicking back and forth to the Sox game (sox lifer, like many on this list), and was actually more interested in the Cs. What's wrong with me?!!

--Ellie