Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Re: Wow! Michael Gee Rips The Celtics Style & O'Brien

On Nov 20, 2003, at 11:28 PM, Sean Giovanello wrote:

> This team wont be a contender this year.  Its not the end of the
> world.  Hopefully the moves we make from this point on will be designed
> towards the long view rather than being championship driven for this
> season...

  Sean Giovanello

************************

	Sean, all that you said is very reasonable, your analysis of what
shape the Celtics are in and how they got here, is dead on.
	What I'd like to point out though, is that the team has, by playing
close to .500 ball, kept their faces in the playoff picture. It
wouldn't take that much to raise themselves over the clouds of despair.
	Yes, our center by committee is barely adequate, our small forward mix
is shaky and our point guard of the future is just that.
	However; we do have one of the top shooting guards/scorers in the
game, if we can integrate him into what the rest of the team is looking
to do.
	The four man rotation (with LaFrenz healthy) at the 4/5 was more than
holding it's own and Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown (with unknown
contributions from Jumaine Jones),  have  also played well enough in
spots and to their strengths, to help us compete on given nights.
	As O'Brien himself has said, Jiri Welsch knows how to keep an offense
moving and make the right pass, while Marcus Banks has shown signs of
his talent and ability to get to spots on the floor. Also, there are
short term solutions, out there at point guard, that would improve this
position.
	I don't believe in accepting mediocrity. I don't believe that coach
O'Brien is getting the most out of the skills our players do possess,
while backing away from the movement and selfless, team play that can
be the great equalizer.
	If it were my team, I'd get an offensive coordinator. I don't think we
are any longer, "going in the right direction."
	While still thinking that O'Brien is doing what we need him to do;
keeping the team disciplined focused on defense and game ready,
another's vision is needed on the offensive end. I still see no benefit
from "Jumpin" Joe Gallagher, nor do I see anyone else stepping forward
to design an offense to best mesh the skills our players do have.

	JB
Unchain My Heart!