Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] Re: Wow! Michael Gee Rips The Celtics Style & O'Brien

Well, when things go wrong its natural to assign blame. The Celtics current situation is certainly not the responsibility of any one person. If you go back and look at the team since the end of the Bird era, it is marked by bad luck, bad decisions, bad management, bad ownership, bad trades, bad player development, and bad coaching.

I guess my own sense is that Pitino and Wallace are the most responsible. Regardless of who is coaching this years team, it is not going to be very good. For all of the objectivity that people on here claim to have, its my sense that many of your apply a different standard to the C's than other teams. The C's lack a point guard, a SF, and a C whose performance would even meet the level of the average NBA player. Yet, people here buy into a new GM making a year 1 major differences or trading your 2nd best player for basically nothing equalling a short term infusion of talent and team play that will make the team dramatically better, etc.

Its going to take a while to fix things here, but given the impatient nature of the fans and the financial needs of the owners, we once again are trying to rebuild on the fly. If you are willing to pay a big luxury tax this is possible. We arent and such a short term rebuilding thus is not possible. I would like to see the young players developed, but that is unlikely to happen with OBie here. Even if we had someone who would play them, it means short term pain for mid or long term gain. This team wont be a contender this year. Its not the end of the world. Hopefully the moves we make from this point on will be designed towards the long view rather than being championship driven for this season...

Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:

Steve,
You notice that no one in the NBA is breaking down the door to hire ML or Pitino and you have to admit that Gaston didn't do the Cs any favors with the tight budget. You also have to admit that often a team's fortunes can dramatically change with a coaching or style of play change. One more is that you also could argue that Obie is reaching Bird's three year expiration date... As for Wallace, I think his problem was that he catered to the coach rather looking at the long term future. But that may have not been his choice, at least when Pitino was here. Twan took us to within two games of the finals but again, no one was breaking down the door to take him off our hands, even with an expiring contract. If his value wasn't any higher, you don't think Ainge wouldn't have traded for it? Ainge's only mistake to date has been to reup Obie.....

DJessen33

<First it was M.L.'s fault; then Pitino's fault; then Gaston's fault; then it was Chris Wallace's fault; then it was Antoine's fault; and now it is O'Brien that is holding this team back.

If Obie IS canned then this team as currently constructed damn sure better win the East and go at least 6 games deep into The Finals; otherwise there will be scores of C's fans that frequent these boards and who are calling now for his head looking pretty damn stupid. At least until they can find the next person to blame. >