Re: Quick game thoughts...

You wrote:

Can you elaborate on Indy's announcers? What were they saying?

--- --- ---

The play-by-play guy kept going on and on about Battie's scoring. He was making sarcastic remarks about it being the best night of his career, and once when Battie made one of his 15-footers, said something about that being way out of his range. He clearly thought Battie was a total scrub.

They were homers as far as the officiating was concerned also, but it's hard to say much when the comparison is Tommy.

They also didn't have many nice things to say about the Boston point guards (which would be understandable if the Pacer point guards weren't Kenny Anderson and Anthony Johnson). They were pretty bad in general. Quinn Buckner was the color guy. He was far less offensive than the play-by-play "talent."

As for the game...

Great, great win. Pierce again played awful in the first half, but really seemed to "get it" in the second half. He made some great passes and was making his moves anticipating the defensive reaction and aware of where the open man would be. Good stuff. When he plays like that, the team is very good.

The ball movement was crisp in the second half. It was obvious Obie had made it a point of emphasis at halftime. The defensive intensity also picked up.

Battie played well, as did Baker and EWill. The point guards were bad, until James warmed up down the stretch. Lafrentz continues to be wasted. He gets his 8-10 ppg on garbage baskets. The only shots he's getting in the offense are 3-pointers, and that's a shame. He's too good an offensive player to not be involved. Jiri really is going to be a good player. He's smart and aggressive. When he gets some experience, he's going to be good.

The beauty of Kedrick, it seems, is in the eye of the beholder. I thought he was lousy for most of the game last night. He hit one 3-pointer and made one nice steal. If that's all you're looking for, great. Personally, I'm ready for some significant Jumaine Jones minutes. You have to wonder, though, if they aren't running Kedrick out there in an effort to trade him. Let's face it, nothing would submarine his value more than being buried at the end of the bench in his third season in the league.

Obie made some good adjustments, but he misses some obvious things. On the Celtics' final possession, when Baker hit the winner, he came out of a time out with Blount still in the game. Doesn't that seem nuts? It's one possession. If you make the shot, Indy calls time out. If you miss, you foul immediately. So don't you put Lafrentz in for Baker just to force the Pacers to guard him? It worked out, but don't you want your best offensive players on the floor for that one offensive possession? Sure, it's just one possession, but if Baker had been doubled or pressured more, and forced to dump it off, would you feel more confident with him dumping it to Blount or Lafrentz? Plus, Lafrentz is the team's best rebounder and definitely the best offensive rebounder. Anyway, it didn't bite them this time, but that's the stuff that drives me crazy. Overall, though, that was a well-coached game by Obie. I thought they were a little more creative in getting good shots for Pierce and Baker, and they made some good adjustments at halftime. The score was low, but I think the Pacers are just a good defensive team - like the Celtics.

Last thing - the running game is nonexistent. No one is running. I think Obie pays lip service to running for Ainge's sake, but I don't see any indication he's actively coaching it.

Anyway, great win. Extremely tough schedule to open the season, and the Celts come out 4-3 and in first place in the Atlantic. Now they get a schedule break where, if they stay focused, they could make some hay.

Mark