Re: Jersey

Excellent excellent post Jim. You are the Bob Ryan of our group.
You did a great job of pointing out Pierces faults without squarely placing the blame on him or making it personal. Sure, Pierce has things to work on, but what player in the league doesn't. Pierce is the best player on the team, and will lead us to a title once he adjusts to the new way the team is playing.

It's a pleasure to read your posts Jim.

From: "Jim Hill" <jahill199@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Celtics" <celtics@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Jersey
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:46:53 -0500

Snipped from a post by CeltsSteve:

>The problem is though, none of the three killer TO's he committed down the
>stretch had to do with him trying take the big shot himself.

>Sooner or later he better realize his job description is not as the PG to
advance the ball upcourt by dribbling after he did carve out a terrific
defensive
rebound in traffic; sooner or later he better learn not to make an errant,
lazy cross court pass back to the top of the key; sooner or later he better
learn that if he gets double teamed near the sideline and near the mid court
stripe he is automatically hemmed in on two side by the boundaries and learn
find the open man before the two defenders converge and he then ends up on
the
floor trying to pass while sitting on his arse. Three killer TO's in the
closing
minutes of a tight contest. Game over. This was a tough "L" in a very
winnable game and I'm sorry but tonight it falls squarely on the Captain.

***I don't see it as flat out totally Pierce's error. After that rebound
the 4 other guys started up the floor, yet no one was in an open passing
lane making Pierce put it on the floor. The cross court was a bad pass, but
the other player has to come to the ball as well. As far as being hemmed
in, the other players need to move their feet and again, move into an open
passing lane.

This is not to say Pierce doesn't need to upgrade his passing "vision" and
anticipate what is going to happen.  But I remember the two Paxson brothers
making a living by staying/moving into an open passing lane when their goto
guy had the ball.  They scored a lot of points off of open looks on pass
outs.

The other guys on the floor need to move to the ball or an open passing
lane.  When Pierce went down in the scrum at the end of the game there
wasn't another guy within 10-15 feet of him so they couldn't help out which
lead to the breakaway.

I did enjoy seeing Banks blow by Kidd. This kid has wheels. Even in a loss
it was a more enjoyable "game" to watch overall. Still lots of improving to
do to match up with the Nets and others though. The light at the end of the
tunnel seems a little closer.

<Jim