RE: Chauncey vs Marcus

--- Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 11:49 PM 11/4/2003, Ryan W wrote:
> >--- Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Nope, don't agree with this either. Banks could
> be
> > > beating him one on one
> > > but James gets the start because he gives us the
> > > best chance to win and
> > > issues with his own development don't interfer
> as
> > > much with the other
> > > development issues on the court. That last is
> one
> > > that gets ignored too
> > > many times in discussion over who is and isn't
> > > getting PT and why.
> >
> >Good point, but is O'Brien smart enough to think
> about
> >this factor?  I doubt it.
>
> I'm not going to get into the is Obie an idiot or
> not argument, but he
> doesn't have to be. The results show on the court in
> wins and losses. Too
> many uncertainties on the court at once amplify each
> other to turn into
> obvious confusion and losses.

Yet Kedrick and Marcus--two inexperienced
players--often play the best when they are on the
court together.  Albeit this chemistry was more
noticeable in the preseason, but it is one example
that refutes your proposition.

On another note, I didn't say O'Brien was stupid per
se (a point that I elaborated on further down in my
post--the part you excised).  I just said his
intelligence doesn't account for such wishy washy
rationale as "is so-and-so player going to negatively
affect so-and-so's development".  You're right,
though, he does seem to want to minimize his
uncertainties by playing his veterans as much as
possible....but to me that's an unnecessary tactical
error...sometimes one's own uncertainty catches the
other team off guard, because that other team had only
prepared for your "certainties".  But that all, in
turn, goes back to O'Brien's inabibility to make
tactical changes on the run.  Sometimes you just gotta
say "to hell with the plan" and play a gut feeling
instead...unpredictability is a good asset, in other
words...

> > > Not the intensive training one on a particular
> > > skillset I had originally
> > > proposed. While he's also young and athletic
> enough
> > > that that could be seen
> > > by the student as a significant factor in his
> > > getting beaten vs the
> > > difference in pure PG skills, blurring the
> intended
> > > lesson about how
> > > important they are.
> >
> >So, who are we talking about?  Mark Jackson?
>
> I actually didn't have any particular one in mind as
> I'm not a fan of
> virtual GM, but he's certainly the right type of
> player, yes.
>
> >So basically you're advocating that we bring in a
> >bunch of women to play against Marcus and when they
> >beat him with their superior minds he'll suddenly
> see
> >the light and become a savvy point himself.  Good
> plan
> >(and I'm only half kidding)
>
> Hardly. Aside from whatever I might think of the
> attempted joke, it still
> has to be someone good enough and experienced enough
> to beat him by playing
> better PG, and it would help if that would also mean
> taking some PT from
> him because of that or we're back to the less
> pointed lesson from just
> another coach.

Sorry I wasn't funny enough for your tastes, Kim.  So
basically, your whole point is that it would be
helpful if we had a kick ass veteran point (who
survives on savvy instead of physical gifts) beating
Marcus everyday in practice?  Well, duh! :)

> I'm less of a fan of people saying I said things I
> didn't than I am of
> virtual GM, BTW.

I'm not sure what you're getting at or if it relates
to another thing I may have said in some other post
(or in this thread) or if you're just putting that out
there for everyone's edification or what...but it's
good to know regardless.  If I said you said things
you didn't say, well forgive me; it was hardly
intentional and came more than likely from me not
reading as well as I can (or alternatively from you
not communicating as well as you can)...whatever the
case, I will try to suss out what it is you say better
in the future...

Ryan