RE: Chauncey vs Marcus

At 11:49 PM 11/4/2003, Ryan W wrote:
--- Kim Malo <kimmalo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nope, don't agree with this either. Banks could be
> beating him one on one
> but James gets the start because he gives us the
> best chance to win and
> issues with his own development don't interfer as
> much with the other
> development issues on the court. That last is one
> that gets ignored too
> many times in discussion over who is and isn't
> getting PT and why.

Good point, but is O'Brien smart enough to think about
this factor?  I doubt it.

I'm not going to get into the is Obie an idiot or not argument, but he doesn't have to be. The results show on the court in wins and losses. Too many uncertainties on the court at once amplify each other to turn into obvious confusion and losses.

> >  he is already providing the "learning by
> >failure" model you propose below.
>
> Not the intensive training one on a particular
> skillset I had originally
> proposed. While he's also young and athletic enough
> that that could be seen
> by the student as a significant factor in his
> getting beaten vs the
> difference in pure PG skills, blurring the intended
> lesson about how
> important they are.

So, who are we talking about? Mark Jackson?

I actually didn't have any particular one in mind as I'm not a fan of virtual GM, but he's certainly the right type of player, yes.

So basically you're advocating that we bring in a
bunch of women to play against Marcus and when they
beat him with their superior minds he'll suddenly see
the light and become a savvy point himself.  Good plan
(and I'm only half kidding)

Hardly. Aside from whatever I might think of the attempted joke, it still has to be someone good enough and experienced enough to beat him by playing better PG, and it would help if that would also mean taking some PT from him because of that or we're back to the less pointed lesson from just another coach.

I'm less of a fan of people saying I said things I didn't than I am of virtual GM, BTW.

Kim