RE: Chauncey vs Marcus

At 01:11 PM 11/4/2003, Wright, Cecil wrote:
Kim,

I know that JoJo is working with the C's in some community-related capacity. And I have seen him at each game I have attended in the last few years. Is there some reason why he would not be tutoring Banks at practices if he's in attendance? I can't believe that Obie would be dumb enough not to draw on his experience as a Point Guard, especially in the area of moving the ball and defense.

Yeah, I was afraid I didn't make the difference clear enough. I'm not assuming he's not being coached or mentored at all. On top of not being inclined to assume management are idiots, Obie and Danny both played the point themselves, on top of having people like Jo Jo around (who is amazing and still looks better than half the people you see on the court, even at his age). But there's a real difference in taking lessons from a coach, even a very hands on coach, and the guy who's just taken you to school repeatedly on the court. Especially if he's someone that you look at and see past his prime or not as talented to begin with. He just beat you for reasons you can do something about -not because he's quicker or jumps higher, but because he's smarter and a better player. I think that approach is especially important in quickly getting lessons in the head of cocky young players. And don't get me wrong about that either - I think Marcus is cocky in a good way. But I think you tend to be quicker to absorb the lessons learned that way, especially by someone who is able to keep supplying new ones as you learn to beat them this way so they take advantage of you and make you look bad THAT way.

Kim