Re: why did we re-up OB?

----- Original Message -----
From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> Douglas is right that the
> extension for Obie isn't that daunting. It probably has a buyout. They all
> do. So why bother with the extension? Because otherwise, you're sending a
> coach out there who is a lame duck. You're signaling to the players that
> Obie really isn't your guy and you're not committed to him past this
season.
> That's a bad recipe for any team, but some of the players on this team
have
> a history of quitting on a coach. Why make it easy for them by telling
them
> they'll have a new coach next season anyway?

Mark and Douglas...I do see your points about Obie. I'm not saying you're
wrong. It sounds perfectly reasonable. I'm just a little surprised that
Ainge didn't come in with a plan for change. I really expected, given all
his connections around the league, that he'd come in and install "his" coach
immediately. I really don't think that O'Brien would have ever been his
first choice...second choice....third choice....you get the picture. He has
to think that Larry Brown would do a better job. And listen, I might not,
but Ainge has been moaning about this team forever. After extending Obie's
contract does he buy him out before next season begins if the right coach
becomes available? Doesn't he almost have to take a pass on a replacement,
even if he thinks it's the right one, until O'Brien gets one more chance to
fail. If DA thought Larry Brown was the right guy for this team could he
talk to him now with the intention of actually hiring him before the season
started? We all know what Ainge thinks and so does O'Brien. A quick end to
the relationship would've been better for everyone. But maybe I'm assuming
too much by thinking DA knows there's someone available, has actually spoken
to someone available, who he believes would be a better coach. I just think
that Ainge has to put his mark on the team now, the sooner the better. And I
don't think radical change is necessary, but come on, sure sounds like Danny
 does. As for the malcontents on the team who might be upset with O'Brien
leaving, they're - he's - being traded anyway. Look...this is Paul Pierce's
team...period. Everybody knows it. Everybody else is along for the ride and
is expendable. Once Antoine's gone PP kicks in as a leader, he has the
backing of the man in charge, and everybody else can be traded if they don't
like it. They'll go along pretty quickly once they see there's no turning
back. PP is here for a good long time. You get a new coach, you trade
Antoine...you have a totally new beginning and you're remaking the team in
your - DA's - image and likeness. It's all good. Well...good for DA. And
what's good for Danny isn't necessarily what's good for the team, but I
could be totally misreading Ainge.

But...we'll see.

Paul M.