Re: why did we re-up OB?

The following post, and Paul M.'s, nail it. Douglas is right that the
extension for Obie isn't that daunting. It probably has a buyout. They all
do. So why bother with the extension? Because otherwise, you're sending a
coach out there who is a lame duck. You're signaling to the players that
Obie really isn't your guy and you're not committed to him past this season.
That's a bad recipe for any team, but some of the players on this team have
a history of quitting on a coach. Why make it easy for them by telling them
they'll have a new coach next season anyway?

As for trades... You're both right. Ainge didn't say he wouldn't trade
Antoine. He said he had "no intention" of trading him. He said he wouldn't
make that phone call-he didn't say he wouldn't answer the phone. You want
honesty and forthrightness from Ainge? Too bad. He's not going to  do it. He
won't be sharing his innermost thoughts on draft picks, trades and free
agency. The closest we're going to get to his current thought process is to
share those thoughts. So what does that tell us? He doesn't like the style
of play and he doesn't think Antoine and Pierce are guys you build a team
around. So you do the math. I'll be shocked if Antoine is with the team next
season. I really expect him to be traded IF Ainge can get a fair deal. But
does anyone think the best avenue for Ainge to take is to come out and
announce his plans to trade Antoine? Of course not.

No, something is going to change. The Obie extension means it won't be the
coach. A couple of mid-round draft picks aren't the answer. So... you're
back to Antoine. Wait and see.

Mark

--- --- ---

Douglas wrote:

     Good lord, he's a near-failure already?  First, he didn't say he
wouldn't trade Walker; I think he said he wouldn't shop him.  Remember the
sullen
Walker when word was out that Pitino might be shopping him around?  We want
to go
that route again?  Significant difference.  Plus, NEVER believe anyone who
says he won't trade a given player.  Everyone has a price.  Pierce for
Duncan,
Bryant, Wallace & Kidd?  I think Paul would be gone.  Second, on Obie.  Obie

does seem to have rapport with the players.  A two-year contract is pretty
short, easily discardable in the vent he has to be canned.  I think Ainge is
doing
OK by acting somewhat positive towards this team instead of putting out
messages that tell them they are all a bunch of worthless slugs AFTER St.
Paul.
     And on an unrelated note, it will be interesting to see how hands-on
Ainge is with regards to style of play.  DO GMs often get into designing
offenses
and plays?  I really don't know and am asking, not hinting that I know the
answer.