Re: why did we re-up OB?

I was quite happy to see DA come in and take the job. I thought he would be two things acumen and accountability to this team. I believe that they are both necessary for a GM to have. I believed and still believe Danny has both. Its far to early to be labeling him a success or failure. However, the early signs to me have not been overly encouraging. Coming in with a mandate for change (after the sweep) Ainge very quickly took two of the three biggest bombs in his arsenal off the table. The two were trading Walker and reupping OB. The third would be escorting Wallace and Papile off the premises.
In those two moves, I do not question Ainge's acumen or accountability. Perhaps he believes Walker's value is at an all-time low or that with both Walker and OB deserve a chance in his system for a year before a determination is made. Its hard to say at this point. The thing I do question is whether or not Danny is willing to do what he thinks is best and not be influenced by the Celtics culture at this moment in time. By culture at this moment in time, I mean the organizational view that the team has done pretty darn good in coming back to respectability. From Antoine's dumb comments, to OBs touting his W-L record, to the idiots previously in charge talking about how they were the greatest things since sliced bread, to the owners big ticket increase and big sale price. All of these indicate a desire to proceed in a risk averse manner. Keep moving forward towards a championship by tinkering and making small adjustments. Keep the building full and the playoff money coming in year after year. Perhaps this is a big reason why Bird wasnt even considered - because he would have rocked the boat and been willing to break a few eggs to make an omelet (apologies to Bird for using a Stalin line). It will be interesting to see how DA and the C's move forward here. Do they make the big bold moves and risk taking two steps back in order to take big strides forward? Right now, I dont see it happening. I think you will see AW here by choice not necessity. He and Pierce will be the core. They will look to add more athletic guys who can play D and run and to add a PG and C along the way. Perhaps in this draft, we should be looking for a PG and the BPA who fits the athletic mold they seem to want.

Stephen Beauregard wrote:

"I refer you to the recent post by Stephen Beauregard, entitled "Bad timing
once again... trying to "shove Obie and his

best two players out the door"? " , in reply to the news that Larry Brown

had resigned as Sixers coach." --

Hey, Snoop, I said it before and I'll say it again...why did we re-up OB? So
far I am unimpressed with DA. Why resign OB? He is under contract and damn
lucky to have a job running a team, imo. Is there anyone out there, BUELLER?,
looking to steal him, ala Jimmy Rodgers? Don't think so. Especially when all
DA did was criticize the C's for their BORING play every time he called a game
on TNT.

Fact is DA came into this situation with hand. HE could have put
coaches/players on notice. He came in with power. So what does he do? He says
his first priority is re-upping OB. He had no urgency or need to do that. If
that was his wish he could have done that at any point next season or this
summer. Brown was the perfect fit for the C's 6 years ago and he still is. He
makes chicken salad out of you-know-what.

Then he says he WILL not trade Twoine. Why is that? Twoine win a title, win
the MVP? His numbers improving? Have they stopped decreasing? Unless Chris
Wallace has donned a #44 uni I don't get what I see. Maybe someone else can
explain.

BTW, I did not realize I was trying to "shove Obie and his

best two players out the door"? I think you need to be let outside, Beagle.

All I'm saying is why commit to OB and Twoine when you did not have to?
Especially this early in the process, when you think the style of play is
b-o-r-i-n-g. If you think a style of play is not working then it is either the
fault of the coaches and/or players. If htat is your belief, you certainly
don't reward the two most responsible for it. No?

Peace...out!

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com