Why exercise the #20 this year?

Doesn't our conditional #20 pick (acquired from Philly in the Moiso
trade) have a five-year window beginning this June?

Catch 22 - And wasn't Philly shrewd enough to deem it lottery-protected
until its final year in 2007?

This draft is so thin that I wonder if we should pay $886,000 (rookie
scale for #20 pick) for some plodding big-body or the sixth-best
miniature PG wannabe who is not only raw but also bereft of upside
potential.  After all, there are so many more talented and immediately
helpful vet min. types available for $637,435 (max figure their
salaries could count against the luxury tax).

If it were me, I would postpone this pick. I would take my chances that
future drafts will contain more talent, and that Philly will not finish
as high as third in the ED for the next few seasons, yet hopefully
escape the lottery.

The voodoo economics of the poorly thought-out luxury tax has
created a disproportionate NBA middle-class (vet. minimum players),
rendering mid-to-low first round draft picks essentially useless.

EGG