*   To: Celtics@xxxxxxxx
*   Subject: Re: Trade Walker?
*   From: Eggcentric@xxxxxxx
*   Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:34:25 EDT
*   Sender: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx

Take this for what it is worth.  It came to me from a fourth cousin
whose landlord's third cousin works with someone whose niece
babysits for a neighbor of one of the new owners.

- WALLACE is gone (and has privately been told so).

- OBIE is teetering on the edge, but likely gone (the owners are
reluctant to make such a wave prior to the end of the season).

- WALKER is going to be shopped.

- COWENS may be brought in as Head Scout, but not as Head Coach or GM.

I guess I see Obie and Walker as sort of being attached at the hip.
As Sean G. suggested, it is certainly possible that under a ''real coach
and a real system'' we might see a new Walker. But how probable is that?

It is also possible that without Walker, Obie would switch to an entirely
different offense.  But that too, does not seem probable as I still
have visions of Wallace and Obie smugly anticipating how their 7' 2''
find, Sundov, was going to launch a zillion 3's over the heads of all
those helpless little perimeter defenders.

Ironically, Walker has 15 points in the first half tonight, but few
rebounds and assists.  Now back to the game.

Egg

Timing - distraction but future hope?

*   To: Celtics@xxxxxxxx
*   Subject: Timing - distraction but future hope?
*   From: Eggcentric@xxxxxxx
*   Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:52:33 EDT
*   Sender: owner-celtics@xxxxxxxx

Anyone else here think the timing of the Ainge announcement
unfortunate?  I mean, here we are in the middle of an important playoff
series, so couldn't this news have been postponed a bit longer?

The answer is - no, it couldn't.  And the reason is because of Ainge's TNT
connection. It would have been a gross conflict of interest for Ainge to
continue as a TNT color commentator for the Celtics-Nets playoff series
knowing he was at the same time signing on as head of bball operations
for the Celts.  Something had to give.

Wallace's fate and Baker's fate were both sealed back in February when
all the facts of the Baker trade came out ... albeit never to the public,
not then and probably not in the future.

Since those closed sessions, Wallace and Obi, Wallace and Baker, Baker
and Obi, have not spoken a word to each other.  Remember reading (see
full article reprinted below) that a former Seattle Supersonics
assistant coach was suing Baker over being promised $1 million to
massage the trade that sent Baker to the Celtics?  That lawsuit and
all its ramifications, rendered both Baker and Wallace naked and liable,
without a leg to stand on.  Neither has been heard from since.

And remember Bob Ryan's dissing of Grousbeck et al? Well the new
owners, before a sprinkling of common sense was sifted into their
naive heads, were actually prepared to have their very own trustworthy
Steve Pagliuca placed in charge of the draft/trade decisions in lieu of
inking a new head of operations guy.  After all, MBA's don't go gently
into that dark night of swallowing three year contracts like Wallace's
(even after informing him he was OUT) unless they feel the court of
public opinion and their future revenue will shrink.

In his morning column, Bulpett writes that the Celtics actually denied
Atlanta permission to speak with Wallace and player personnel director
Leo Papile about openings with the Hawks.  I do not understand this,
because for all practical purposes, Wallace and Papile are now lame
ducks so wouldn't you think that the Celts ownership would just love
to rid themselves of their contracts?  But then I do not know how
Wallace and Papile's contracts read, and wonder if Wyc et al are
merely (albeit naively again) holding out for a 2nd round draft pick or
a reasonable facsimile for their lame duckies before gleefully
releasing them from their contracts.

On a POSITIVE NOTE -  Prior to signing, Ainge has allegedly forced the
owners to reverse course and consent to at least shelling out $4.5 mill
for a mid-level contract this coming season.

On a IS THIS A GOOD OR A BAD NOTE-  I have been told that Obie who is
perceived by many to have made lemonade out of Wallace lemons, will
likely be allowed to stay on for at least one more season as long as he
is willing to make a few concessions to Ainge.  Berry's contention that
Obie and Walker are connected at the hip is right on, so my hope is that
Obie's first concession will be to replace his 3-point, no-motion
strategy with ''real'' and exciting bball, but that his second concession
will be to agree with Ainge that trading AW for a player(s) who more
fits into the Ainge concept will be good for our team.

Sure Wallace made lots of moves which Obie felt forced to go along
with.  But keep in mind that it was Obie who honestly thought he
could get by with non-distributing, 3-pt. shooting PG's like Delk and
Shammond, and even 3-pt. shooting big guys like Sundov and Wolko.
When he found it was not working, he then implored upon Wallace to
trade the disappointing Shammond, allow the ''I can't believe they
signed me'' Wolko to exit, and permanently place the useless
Sundov on the IR.  Enter the discarded Blount, and practice players
Long, Coles, and Bryant.  Oh the folly of it all.

Ainge will be faced with all our future $$$$ constraints and baggage
that years of bungling from Gavitt to Carr to Pitino to Wallace have
caused. Our hope is that gradually he will be able to bring about a
return to real bball vs. the present 3-pt. sham we have been forced
to endure.

I do not expect Ainge to be a Moses capable of parting the Red Sea.
Yet the only way to resumption is to resume.  The mere addition of
him to our team makes me more optimistic than I have been in
many a recent season.  And that is good.

Egg