Re: O'Brien's Pardon

----- Original Message -----
From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> But don't worry. O'Brien's time is just about up. Ainge is rewarding him
> because he has to, but he sees what we see.

Why does he "have" to? Why not just come in and make a coaching change if he
sees what you see? Why sign him to an extension on the "chance" that he
changes? Why not just cut your losses and start over with a coach you have
full confidence in? Has O'Brien ever coached a running team? Has he shown he
can do it? If not...I don't know why he "had" to extend his contract?
Danny's afraid he's going to lose the players who are loyal to O'Brien? So
what? They get used to it.

Mark, I feel your pain. But I don't know why you cut Danny a break on this
one. Unless....he trades Antoine. You simply can't bring them both back,
right? I mean, Antoine's going to be happy if O'Brien suddenly takes a draft
pick and tells him to be the point guard? Do you see anyone not named Kidd
or Payton who has the guts to tell Antoine he can't have the ball every time
down? And if so, will he just give it up without a fight? Without being a
giant pain in the ass? I can only think that O'Brien has convinced Ainge
that he can coach a team that runs and Danny knows he has to get rid of
Walker to make sure it happens. Otherwise, this seems like as big a gamble
as trading for Vin Baker. I mean...Baker proved himself to be a stiff, over
time....and it was obvious to everyone except the team's ex-gm. So....it
seems just as obvious that Danny's going to have to trade Antoine this
summer.  This team doesn't run, doesn't move, doesn't have an offensive plan
worth anything, and never has with O'Brien and Walker in control so why
bring back the architect of that plan, or the "architects," unless you
believe that one of them is flexible enough to make a change. You actually
believe that's Antoine? Danny must believe it's O'Brien.  If he keeps
O'Brien and Walker comes back what are the chances of seeing any difference
next year? And don't you risk giving Antoine a chance to prove, once he
starts moaning and complaining, that all that "leadership" ability is a
joke? Maybe you can get a gm to believe that story now. Maybe that's part of
his value. But next year when the sobbing starts? I can only think that
Ainge has a plan get rid of Antoine this summer. Right?  Has to. Or is Danny
showing signs of being a total failure already?

I look forward to seeing Antoine traded this summer. Maybe to Portland. Who
knows? I look forward to seeing what they get for him.

Paul M.