Re: Tidbits from Sean Deveney

At 04:25 PM 5/21/2003 -0700, you wrote:
I think it was Kestas who wrote that he was afraid
all the other gm's in the league might now what we all know about Antoine.
Kestas...again, my pet, let's be reasonable. If it's obvious to you...and
Mark....and Way...and so many others on this list, then, my little fountain
of joy....the gm's know it too.
Here comes another believer in the infinite wisdom of the NBA GMs. Puppy, haven't you learned anything from observing Chris Wallace? Here's a guy who thought he could resuscitate Baker's career! Vin Frigging Baker's!!!! Walker is like the love child of John Havlicek and Tim Duncan, compared to Baker.
The love of my life, I don't mean to sound haughty, but if's obvious to me, it's far from certain that it's obvious to some NBA GM. It was obvious to at least 95% of this list that Baker should not be traded for under any circumstances, yet Wallace went ahead and did it anyway. And now Wallace apparently is a hot commodity on the GM job market after the bang-up job he did here. While there are undoubtedly some smart individuals in the ranks of the NBA GMs, there are also colllege-dropouts who were still living in their parents' basement in their 30s, believers in "brain doctors", tooth fairies, and God knows what else, guys who think a probability of .35 GUARANTEES them the first pick in the draft, and Dan Issels.
I'm not saying we can get the moon and the stars for Toine, but like Mark said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that some Coach/GM type decides that Toine can be saved and that he's the guy to do it. I could totally see someone like Riles attempting that (and he might actually pull it off). If Vin Baker and Juwan Howard can be traded (the latter, multiple times!), so can Walker. It may not be for as much as we think (because your sarcastic appraisal of Toine is pretty much right on), but it can be done.
Kestas