Re: Kidd/Walker

     I certainly can't argue with your thoughts here, but add in a word or
two of caution in general on this topic.  I haven't read much about the
specifics in Kidd's case recently, but did read that he did some classes,
paid a fine, and the case was dismissed.  That sounds like a pretty common
deal on a low-level domestic violence case.  There is also the thorny issue
of what constitutes "domestic violence."  Tying her up and beating her with a
bat?  No doubt.  Punching her repeatedly?  No doubt.  A strong two-handed
push to keep her away during a heated argument?  One-handed?  What if he
pushes her aside so he can get out of the house to avoid further conflict but
she blocks his way?  What if the victim trips and falls?  Is there bruising?
Has it happened before?
     Taking such a case to trial is expensive (which wouldn't matter to Kidd)
and traumatic.  If the victim is reluctant, it gets more complicated.  Trust
me - I have dealt with this stuff in family court for ten years and in
criminal court for a few months - it's a morass.  But again, I certainly
won't argue with your reaction because it is just that - YOUR reaction and
you're entitled to it.
    As for Bird, I think he WAS married in college and had a daughter whom he
ignored until the last few years.  Maybe it was by his wife, maybe not.
Don't remember.  Poor girl looks a lot like him.  And that isn't in the same
universe as beating a woman?  Maybe, maybe not.  Again, what if the "beating"
is a mild push, but the daughter grows up without a father?  Take a guess at
the percentage of people in prison who grew up without fathers.
 - Sorry for the occupation-related rant
 - Doug