Re: in denial

--- gene kirkpatrick <gk_tyler@yahoo.com> wrote:
> After reading the Globe's two lead articles this
> a.m., I'm convinced that Antoine is undeniably in
> denial.  And Ainge, schooled to be cautious by Red,
> is likely missing his best opportunity to free
> himself and this team from the 500 pound gorilla
> that weighs us down.  Walker, his entourage of
> "buds" around him on the golf course, inveighs his
> wisdom that "we're there," and it's only three days
> after New Jersey sweep us in our own building.
> Mediocrity protects itself with great passion,
> whether it's in the minors or the majors, the court
> house or the white house.  Clearly, I don't want to
> enter another season with Antoine's team.  It will
> take an amazing draft and a good free agent deal,
> plus smart moves with our $$, to put this team at a
> higher level--but will any of that mitigate the
> unmovable force of Antoine?  I have an old,
> expensive piano.  It looks just right for the room,
> but no one can tune it anymore.  I think Ainge will
> regret any loyalty shown to Antoine, and tha!
>  t probably extends to O'Brien, too.  Color me dark
> green.

You mean, "Color me an old cranky bastard".  This
irrational hate of Antoine (perpetrated by Gene and
Mark and Kestas and damn near everyone else), combined
with this apparently reliable notion that we won't get
any better with Antoine on the team, has got to stop.
There is no proof either way (though the fact that
we've got in the playoffs, which teams with MORE
talent, such as Atlanta and Toronto, would love to
claim, should be some justification of that we're not
totally inept).  Yes, this team is not going to get
better, record-wise, as it is currently constituted.
Is this a proof that Antoine needs to go?  Hardly, it
just says that we need to acquire more talent.  If, by
chance, we can acquire more talent and that aquisition
includes the trading of Antoine, then so be it.  But,
folks, that is not likely to happen.  This team is
going to get better by adding a point guard, a power
forward/center backup player (Sweetney would be nice)
and a back up wing player.  We need depth, so we can
run like we did in the Indiana series for the entire
year next season.  Ainge said as much in the paper
today.  Teams are built piece-by-piece.  Even New
Jersey, when they got lucky and acquired Jason Kidd
for Marbary (a deal, mind you, that was only available
because Jason had beat his wife and Phoenix wanted to
move on), still had to add other pieces to get better.
 There isn't a one-swoop unilateral move that is going
to bring us back to the top.  Draft and development.
Those are the key words.  And they should be the only
reason for not hiring O'Brien back....he has yet to
show any skill in developing players.  Teams only
trade their superstars, and yes Antoine is a
superstar, when the team struggles.  This team
over-achieved last year and this year as well.  Where
is the sense in trading your second best player after
two years of overachieving?  Teams are said to
overachieve when they play better than they talent
suggests they can....imagine if they had more
talent???  That's where our focus should be...this
hate of Antoine, stemming I'm quite sure from outdated
notions of what a basketball player "should" be, needs
to stop.  If you wanna justify trading Antoine, do it
because the talent exchange favors the Celtics....not
because of some stupid gut feeling that we'll never
get anywhere with Antoine.

Ryan