re: Pride of Ownership

>>< I believe that the botched drafts, and the Baker fiasco have effectively
>>slammed the door on the Pierce era. > - RickDHome

<< Egg contridicts herself by saying "good point" then pointing out what
I was going to: >>

Well so much for the food shopping today. Thankfully there is one can
of peanuts left in the cabinet.
Mark P. - Where's the contradiction? The point is still a good and
stimulating one no matter how any of us choose to address it. In fact,
had RickDHome's point not stimulated our interest, you and I would
likely not have bothered to even respond to the thread.
Egg --

I guess I was reacting to your saying that 'the door has been slammed on the Pierce era' was a good point. I think its not a good point* for the reason you point out:

that Pierce will still be in the prime of his career when the Baker fiasco is over (which it may well be a bit earlier since Baker's expiring contract could fetch a star player from a team looking to rebuild). That's where i saw a contradiction, either the door is shut or its not. I don't think it is.

Yes, Dan, he will be a step slower -- but Pierce's brilliance is not based on speed but on the full range of skills he has. I don't think Pierce relies (like McGrady, say) on his physicality to be a star, but his basketball skills.

Is your real gripe that the poster referred to it as the Pierce era as
opposed to your preferred Pierce & Walker era?
first of all i don't have a gripe. second of all I should have been more clear that I too believe that we're in the Pierce Era -- not the Pierce & Walker era. The point of putting it in there is I think that's the way Ainge should look at this phase of Celtics history: As centered on Pierce. Everyone else is available in my mind.

mark

* It may be an interestign one or one, like you say, that spartks debate, but not an accurate, and therefore good, one in my opinion.