Re: Timing - distraction but future hope?

>And remember Bob Ryan's dissing of Grousbeck et al? Well the new
 owners, before a sprinkling of common sense was sifted into their
 naive heads, were actually prepared to have their very own trustworthy
 Steve Pagliuca placed in charge of the draft/trade decisions in lieu of
 inking a new head of operations guy.

<< Oh come on Eggy.  Your kidding right? >> - Jahill

I wish I was kidding, Jim.  But the truth is that owner Pagliuca has
been nicknamed by the Boston media as ''Jerry West''  due to his
control freak attitude and tactics.  These owners, Pagliuca in
particular, are hands on, and although savvy in other fields,
considered by many to be most naive in the ways of the NBA.

I did not intend to imply that it was Ryan who single-handedly set
the new owners straight on needing a ''real'' GM to conduct team
business.  I merely intended to point out Ryan's comments as
confirmation that these owners at one time actually felt Pagliuca
(i.e. Jerry West) would be capable of overseeing our coming
draft/trades in lieu of, or prior to, hiring a Danny Ainge type.

    < But his major challenges are internal.

    To wit: the ownership. Please, please, please guys, let Ainge
    do his job and stay out of his way. Ainge said he's known Steve
    Pagliuca for a while. We can assume he's been told about
    Pagliuca's freshman basketball experiences at Duke. Everyone else
    has. We can assume Ainge has been told that Pagliuca wanted more
    playing time for Kedrick Brown and that he's told the coaching
    staff how eager he is to break down film on prospective draftees.
    We can assume Ainge knows that Pagliuca and Wyc Grousbeck
    both called in coach Jim O'Brien for an ill-timed chat about the
    team and its playing style -- during a losing streak. We can
    assume Ainge knows they like to hang out at practice and in the
    locker room.

    If there isn't an autonomy clause in Ainge's contract, he needs
    to get one. When McHale was quoted in yesterday's Globe calling
    Pagliuca ''a basketball junkie,'' the words reverberated all the
    way to John Y. Brown's living room. >  - Peter May, 5/11

So - VIVA DANNY AINGE - as long as you are able to get our own Jerry
West to not override your ideas.

Egg