Re: Pride of ownership

> NOBODY, outside of Wallace or Papile think THAT highly of
>Walker.  I respect his effort; he competes... Kenyon Martin flat out owning
>>him notwithstanding.

  I know that writing back to back posts critical of Antoine opens me up to
the Walker hater label but something has been bothering me lately and this
sentence about Walker's effort just seemed like the perfect opportunity to
talk about it.

After game one when Eric Williams said he and Paul had been talking about the
need to be more physical with the Nets, just to make them a little
uncomfortable, reporters went to Antoine and he pretty much said he wasn't
going to be part of it.
He said something about how he couldn't "afford" to be more physical because
he wasn't Paul Pierce or Kobe Bryant.  Now I know that Antoine fouled out of
game one, but 3 of those fouls came in the last 10 minutes of the game and it
looked to me like at least two of those were frustration fouls.  And how many
times have we seen Paul on the bench in the first half because of early cheap
fouls? Numerous.  Many more than Antoine.
 How many times has Antoine fouled out?  Three, maybe four?  Out of 78?  It's
not like he has some sort of history of fouling out of games.
This just really struck me the wrong way.  It was almost like he was looking
for an excuse not to be physical.  Then in the last game, a game in which the
Celtics were called for 27 personal fouls, Antoine played 41 minutes and
didn't pick up his second foul until there were six minutes left in the game.
 Kenyon Martin was going backdoor, dunking on lobs, beating Antoine done the
floor routinely.  Yet Antoine never once just reached out to slow him down,
or intentionally fouled him to stop an easy basket.  Not once.  It was always
left for someone else to do.  Martin is shooting just 62% from the free throw
line in this series.  Why wouldn't you make him earn his points from the line
instead of letting him walk in uncontested?
I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree with the statement that Walker has
put forth complete effort.  I have no doubt he wants to win, but wanting to
win and doing everything in your power to make it happen are two different
things.
There are things he could be doing that he isn't.
Sure, he's only shooting 29% from the floor, 17% from the arc, and 57% from
the free throw line in this series.  But what's worse is that he's down to 3
assists a game from 4.8, and just .33 steals from 1.6. At the same time
Martin is shooting 56% in this series after shooting 49% against the Bucks
and 47% for the season.
Either Martin has become a superstar in the last week and a half, or
Antoine's refusal to get tough with him has let him look like one.
 I definitely think Antoine could be playing harder.

TAM