Pride of ownership

> The team I give an *A* for effort generally during the season and the
> playoffs. Management and OB deserve an *F*. At times when they looked like
> they were loafing it was really lack of direction or game plan. There will
> be more pain ahead, but at least there is also hope.
>
> DanF

I think the Cs are talent thin, and on the whole, Obie's gimmick offense,
which, by any objective standard is just brutal to watch, ... overachieved
for the season.  I give credit to Obie for winning as much as they did, even
though I HATE that style of ball, and think we are much further from a
championship than we were entering last summer.

I couldn't exactly give them an 'A' for effort, what with the epic, no,
historical, ass whippings they absorbed.  To get beaten by that much, you
have to flat out quit competing.

I believe that the botched drafts, and the Baker fiasco have effectively
slammed the door on the Pierce era.  Pierce is a legit star, and is
recognized as such throughout the league.  Walker is an above average role
player who thinks he's a star.

It's a complete pipe dream to think the Celtics can land the likes of Brand
for Walker.  NOBODY, outside of Wallace or Papile think THAT highly of
Walker.  I respect his effort; he competes... Kenyon Martin flat out owning
him notwithstanding.  Problem is, nobody's been able to reign him in and get
him to be the excellent role player he could be.  Pitino tried, and was run
out of town.  Obie just knuckled under, so now you have your in-name-only
power forward chucking up the most threes in the league at a pathetic
percentage.

Bottom line is that the Cs lack the talent, and the roster and cap
flexibility to make a REAL run at a championship.  That's on Wallace, pure
and simple, and I'm glad the keys were taken from him before yet another
draft could be botched.

I think Danny is a great choice to right the ship, though his hands are tied
for a couple of years.  I think he should start by firing Wallace, and his
faithful sidekick Papile.  Then, I think he ought to think in terms of
building a championship team, and then stay the course.  I actually think
that Wallace, et. al, were on course, what with the expiring contracts, and
the three first round choices... then they got impatient (and bothched the
draft, and squandered Kenny's expiring contract).  Unfortunately, the NBA is
an unforgiving business.  You blow these very limited windows of opportunity,
and you're &*^#ed for a couple of years, by which time, your star(s) are
beyond their prime.  I think we're in that unfortunate position with Baker on
the books, which is why I'd opt for blowing the team up as presently
constituted, and perhaps suffering through a couple of years of really bad
ball.  See, I feel like you've got to have a group of young stars that'll hit
their primes at the same time, in order to make a legit run at a
championship... which is what I really want, and which this team doesn't
have.  I say we the sooner the Walker era is over the better.  I think it'll
be thought of in years to come, much like the Wicks/Rowe years are now
remembered.  My two cents.

Sorry for the long post.  I wish Danny all success.  I think the guy's a
winner, and we're lucky to have him.  I think he'll get it done too.