Re: our future point guard

>Ray is the college hoops guy here..I generally watch the pros. Is Hinrich
>really a point or a combo guy? It's a shame we don't have a second round
pick
>because we could pick up Blake with it. Two shots at a good point are better

>then one..

>>Pete

  I'm not Ray but I'm sure I know more about Hinrich than Ray does.  As a
matter of fact I've answered this question a long time ago, before it was
even asked because I knew this would come up since Kirk saw more time at
other positions (shooting guard this year, small forward last year).
Hinrich is a true point.  It's the position he is most comfortable with.
He's a true point that can shoot the heck out of the ball.  He's a true point
that is a deceptively good athlete  (unlike what some people on this list
have said. The guy had a 34 inch vertical as a sophomore in high school, has
no problem getting up for a dunk, moves extremely well laterally and won
state championships in track).

He only played 1 and 1/2 years at the point for KU and still came away with
639 career assists to show for it -- placing him third in Kansas history.

He was moved from the point for two reasons.  Number one, in order to get the
five best players on the court on a team that was not deep.  Number two, in
order to take advantage of his great speed on the break and his great
shooting in the half court.
While Kirk was at Kansas our fast breaks were legendary.  He was the
catalyst.  When Kirk wasn't on the floor our break was just good.
When he was on the floor it was amazing.  We did it the way the old Celtics
did, with the pass up the court to a flying Kirk Hinrich or with Kirk's great
perimeter defense causing turnovers.

I know Ray really likes Ridnour.  Honestly, Kirk is a better shooter.  He
shot 50% for his career and 44% from behind the arc. Ridnour shot 43% and
39%.  Kirk has a slightly better assist to turnover ratio and has 639 assists
to Ridnour's 282 (admittedly Kirk had one more year, but as I've already
pointed out, he played mostly other positions in his time at KU while Ridnour
started from day one as a point at Oregon).  Still the thing that sets Kirk
apart from Ridnour in my mind is his defense.  Kirk won all Big 12 defensive
honors two years in a row.  He had 192 steals to Luke's 87 and had 53 blocks
to Lukes 8.
Going into last year I thought Kirk might slide under the radar, playing on a
very talented team and playing out of position.  But that's certainly not the
case.

TAM